Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At least your tractor will move round bales, mine is too small.
Thank goodness! Years ago with husband #1 we would pick up one bale at a time and put it in the back of the truck. We then would go out in the pasture, open the tail gate, back up real fast, hit the brakes and pray it rolled out. Usually worked but it's hard to control that much weight when it gets moving! The last time we did it that way the bale rolled into a corner post of one pen and snapped that sucker right off - what a PIA that was!

But look at it this way, you are burning calories! LOL
Definitely! I often look at my outside chores as my 'gym' time.

I had originally planned on finishing up some outside chores yesterday evening - but that didn't happen. My son called and wanted to take us out to dinner for Father's day. (my DH is actually step-father to my son) We asked if it would be ok to just do a simple gathering at home instead of going out. So we went to his house for DH's faorite meal - hamburgers! I really don't get how a hamburger can be your favorite meal - but it's his, lol. Maybe because he doesn't get to eat them very often because the bun is so carb-y.

I'll be trying to catch up on those chores today. Need to move the last bale of hay to it's final parking place - get all of them covered - move the trailer - TRY to put the pigs back where they belong - and do some more mowing with the push mower today. After I move that bale I need to take the hay forks offa the tractor and switch it out for the mower. Pastures need to be mowed - they are out of control. I'll need help putting that mower on. I don't know why it's so dang hard - but I can't do it myself and even when DH has helped in the past it's not something we usually accomplish. Maybe either my good neighbor or my son can help. Ugh - not looking forward to being outside all day again, but somebody has to do it.

Forecast is for possible rain/storms this afternoon. Crazy to say - but we could use some.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I enjoy it and I make it high fiber and put as much whole wheat flour in it as possible. Too much and I have trouble with the bread being too dense - but I think I've got it pretty well balanced now. It's soooo good!

Are you preparing to post your updated recipe?:D if I lived there I'd just pop in for some. Alas, it's a long drive from VA.

I like dense and seeded breads, with taste. And lots of real butter. A dieter's nightmare :rolleyes: but, mostly no jelly...ok, on occasion. It's also a great type bread to eat with a little bowl of nice hot soup. Yeah, winter meal but it will be here. :caf

My tractor won't do those BIG round bales either. But, since I rarely buy them, it's all good. That's a lot of work to move but, price rules! I mostly use the square bales. Speaking of which -- hay man is JUST finishing rowing that alfalfa field across the street. Sweet, young stuff (the hay) and I need to arrange to buy part of it. Can't do a barn full but he stores this across the street in a huge hoop barn. So may get a few bales for these goat moms to wean kids & get MY milk givers working. Need to go catch him, so e leaves some in field for me. He'll bale tonight probably.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need a little more time to perfect it :) But, here's the recipe I started with:

REDEEMER BREAD
Pour 2 c. boiling water over
1 c. All Bran cereal
3/4 c. shortening
1 tbsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar

Cool to lukewarm. Dissolve 2 packages yeasts in 1/2 cup warm water with 1 tsp sugar. Add to cooled mixture. Add 2 slightly beaten eggs. Add 6 1/2 to 7 cups flour; knead, let rise, punch down and put in greased pans and let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I don't like the directions they provide because if you've never made bread before you'd have a hard time. You don't add all the flour at once. An experienced baker would know that - but a newbie wouldn't.

I think I used Fiber One the last time. I've used Crackling Oat Bran. I've tried several and they're all good. I've made it without the shortening. I've made it substituting butter. I've left out the eggs. I've forgotten the sugar... And despite everything the bread works. The texture would be different depending on what changes I made but it always makes bread.

The changes I'm working with now are that I use 2 cups of bran cereal. I also use at least a cup of whole wheat flour. I've added anywhere from several tablespoons of hemp hearts and chia seeds - up to 1/4 cup. I like experimenting and will likely try it with other changes. Sometimes I've used garlic salt and even a little chopped rosemary. It's a very forgiving recipe and the only time I messed it up - I didn't use enough yeast so it didn't rise like it should have - and I used too much whole wheat flour and while it wasn't wonderful - we still toasted it and used it. It was just very dense and heavy.

When/if I ever get the recipe exactly like I want it - I'll put it in the recipe section. For now - this is it!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:eek: so for now, we are all on our own as to changes? :lol:
Ok -- let's see -- you are making it each wkend, so by end of summer you will have it whipped. Just in time for winter baking here. :pop Might try the bread in original form before then. :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another busy day - but I like 'em that way. I got the last round bale put in it's spot. Got tarps, and despite the wind, I managed to get all the bales covered. Let it rain, lol.

Moved a couple of does from the pasture up to the front barnyard. These two have been nursing babies since January - it's time for their babies to be weaned. Might - or might not - milk one or both of 'em. I've given up most dairy products - but still enjoy some milk in my coffee.

Spent a little time in the garden. Picked some more yellow squash. Have said yellow squash in the oven... with olive oil, white balsamic vinegar and shaved parmesan. Squash for dinner? It'll do, lol. Might have popcorn for dessert!

Not sure what happened on our field trip Friday..maybe it was waiting late for parents that didn't give a hoot and just left their child sitting (with me watching) for an extra 45 minutes. But, whatever it was, it has me totally "DONE" with work. I'm over it and need to get my attitude right before tomorrow morning - yikes! I won't give up and be one of those "short timers."

It won't be long... I can do it...I can do it...I can do it...

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, we have a hard time putting the bush hog on our tractor too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know why it's so stinking hard - but it is. But, I have to get it done. I've got swamp grass that's almost over my head. I need to get it mowed while it's dry enough. I think I can get it done this weekend if we don't get any more rain.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We even have a quick connect, love it, but we have to line up the yoke connection, press the set screw or whatever it’s called and PUSH, while standing on our heads.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We even have a quick connect, love it, but we have to line up the yoke connection, press the set screw or whatever it’s called and PUSH, while standing on our heads.
Is that all? We have to do all that while standing on our heads with one hand tied behind our back and blindfolded, lol.