Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have me craving "breads" now. Thanks -not.

Looking at your recipe, it's for an oven. OK -- right now I am thinking to use my bread machine. :lol: It's summer, hot, only me to eat it. Been looking up recipes. Too many things I want to do.

I just need a local bakery -- a REAL bakery. Are there any?
Not in "small town" USA.

I personally would like to try good goats milk and see if I like it.

You need to look for someone with decent goats not kept with buck, who actually uses the milk! My girls give great milk. My kids won't try it. :idunno DS likes milk, DGD likes milk, DS not really...won't try this. Shame. So good, so much -- so what! :smack:lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looking at your recipe, it's for an oven. OK -- right now I am thinking to use my bread machine.
It's been about a hunnert years since I used a bread machine - but can you just toss all the ingredients in and let it go?

Tuesday DH's insulin pump supplies ran out and he'd been going around and around with the company that hadn't shipped them...blah...blah...blah. He went to bed Tuesday night without his pump. When he woke up Wednesday morning, before surgery, his blood sugar was 489! :barnie Horrible! Around 5 times higher than normal. He had to shoot up manually, and thankfully it started coming down gradually. But gee whiz! I was really worried about him.

Pump supplies came in yesterday evening and this morning he had a low blood sugar episode....not too bad thankfully because the pump alerted him before it went too low. Modern technology can be a very good thing!

Went out to feed this morning and Cameo has diarrhea. Argh.... I put out some new minerals yesterday so maybe she went a little overboard. I dunno...membranes weren't bad when I checked about a week ago - but I'll be checking closer this evening. Always something...

I've decided to harvest or sell a buckling that I intended to keep. I noticed the other day that he has a split scrotum and no matter how pretty and sweet he is - he can't be allowed to procreate.

Garden is out of control...or I should say that the weeds are out of control. But, I'm harvesting a little here and there. Yard long red beans are starting to come in here and there. Winter squashes are forming - but a long way from being done. I did see an okra bloom a couple days ago - I need to check that too or I'll have yard long okra soon, lol. Need a couple weeks to catch up...sigh.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is serious - and it was a mess. Glad it got straightened out quickly and the supplies were overnight-ed to us.

Took my truck in this morning to get the new topper on it and to have the cargo load bed slider thingy in stalled! Whoop! That's going to make my life so much easier. Won't be any more crawling up in the truck to reach the second layer of feed sacks. They'll slide right out for easy access. Yay!

While they were doing all the work on the truck - DH and I went to see Aladdin. It was a fun movie! It was kinda nice to see a movie with no blood and guts!

This evening will not be as much fun for the last two bucklings...when it cools off I'm gonna try to get 'em banded. Kinda hate to do it in the heat - but at least it's not muddy. This will be a tough test on DH's wrist. I told him to be sure and wear his brace cuz these guys are not going to love this procedure and will quite likely resist a bit!

Thinking about going to TSC tomorrow and picking up a few cattle panels and a couple hog panels and doing some pig exclusion fencing. We will see if/how it gets accomplished. I might run out of energy before I run out of chores...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got a couple things done today - but of course not as much as I wanted to do. We did get the bucklings banded. YaY? Ugh...

It's just too hot to do much safely. I've got one more raised bed that needs to be cleaned out. It's got a couple of blueberry bushes that are just surviving - not thriving. I think they need a change of scenery. Not the right time for that - but eventually I'd like to move them under the pine trees.

Had to walk all the way to the back of the pasture because I saw "something" out there. It was white-ish and moving just a little. Of course it was one of the critters. I made a big mistake and didn't disbud the young males because they are all destined for the freezer. I don't even remember my theory except that if I'm gonna eat 'em this fall - why disbud 'em? Except I don't LIKE horned goats. I just thought that for 6 months or so I could tolerate 'em. I was wrong, lol. Stupid goat was hung in the fence. He couldn't get his head through the fence so somehow he wiggled his head under the fence in the one low spot where the ground was really dry and there was juuuuuuuuuuuust enough of a space for him to get his head under. What a do-do. This is the same goat that stuck his head through a bucket handle yesterday and about knocked himself silly running into the side of the barn...guess the bucket acted like a helmet and saved him lol. GOATS! Silly critters.

Been picking yellow squash pretty regularly and we are over run with peppers...jalapenos, habaneros, fresno peppers, and salad peppers. But for whatever reason bells don't grow for me. Any other pepper does great here - just not bells. Can't have it all I guess. DH gets the hot ones and I get the mild ones...sometimes I cross over to the dark side...but not often, lol. I don't believe in self-torture very often.

Going to go get myself a glass of wine and settle back and watch a movie.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goodness, goats and trouble goes hand in hand, doesn't it? Hope the silly thing was o.k.
That's a pretty true statement, lol. A lot of the time things go along pretty smoothly but... They get themselves into the craziest predicaments lol.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been about a hunnert years since I used a bread machine - but can you just toss all the ingredients in and let it go?

Pretty much so. :D Sometimes you have to set it differently. Of course, the recipe is way larger than the machine holds, so I'd have to 1/3ish it. Haven't used mine in a long time but, it makes good bread and small loaves, so great for small fam. Plus, it's pretty much like crockpot cooking....fill up & come back when it's done. Less electric & heat than oven, too. :idunno

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Weekend was a whirlwind of craziness, lol. Did the truck stuff and a movie Saturday. Had to start getting ready for the new fridge too. We got the old one out of the breezeway. It entailed having to take the door off it's hinges between the breezeway and kitchen. Then we had to take the doors off the fridge to get through said doorway. It now resides on the driveway waiting to be hauled away. Next step was to move the fridge in the kitchen out into the breezeway. Sigh...door is still off of the hinges - finally got the doors offa the kitchen fridge and struggled, cussed some, and muscled it into the breezeway. Only a few mishaps. I dropped the freezer door after it was offa the fridge. Crap went flying and the icemaker totally fell out. Don't care - the stupid thing never worked right. That's why it's been demoted to the breezeway fridge instead of the kitchen fridge, lol. Really feels good to get that/those chores done!

Talked to DD and finally settled on a visit over the 4th. I'm going to try and take off the day before so we can head up early. I neeeed to visit and squeeze and love on those grandbabies. Its been toooo long.

Had salmon and a bunch of veggies from the garden tonight. Quite tasty.

We had some decent storms this morning - but only .5 inch. That's ok - we've been getting enough rain lately - but not too much. That's so very odd for here - but appreciated for sure.