Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our biggest question was whether they were on foot or in a vehicle. It was a middle of the day break-in. In our location - if they were on foot they would have likely been noticed - especially carrying a bunch of stuff! Very few people walk around here because we are on a dead end road. The ones that do walk for exercise are well known.

We went with basics of light and items to fortify the entrance doors. I feel pretty good about the products we got. We bought bulbs for the motion detector light that we already have and bought another one for the other side of the house. At night - I think light (and barky dogs) will be the best deterrent. That is the time folks would try to be covert. In the daytime I think they are trying to blend in - and at that point physical barriers - like strong doors should pay off.

I think it's like you said @tortoise, that impulsiveness plays a big part. If they can't get in quickly - hopefully they'll go away just as quickly. Who knows what goes through the mind of a thief?

Still considering the Ring doorbell. Trying not to go overboard - but also want to do enough to keep us from being in that position of "I should've" or "I wish I had done more..."

So far the rain that they promised us today hasn't materialized. But the tiny amount the indicated we would get yesterday - was waaaay over what they predicted.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Local police department here is promoting video doorbells. They've got a discount for them too, IDK how it works exactly. The idea is to get enough video monitoring on the front of people's homes to catch video of perps.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My other plan is to not have anything worth stealing in the house. :gig If they really want a beastly-heavy 20 year old TV... help yourself. BTW the cords aren't on the property (children problems...) :gig Looking around, the only thing I can imagine an impulsive thief would take is my Kitchenaid. Nothing to grab-and-go with. Minimalism + frugality FTW! :gig

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck LOL - I agree. About the worst thing they could do to me would be to take my laptop. That would pi$$ me off! WE have a few firearms - but nothing special...nothing else much worth taking unless they wanna take my adjustable bed or the furniture or my new refrigerator (I'd kill 'em for that)!

Fixin' to go put some spareribs in the instant pot. I don't think I've cooked ribs in the pot yet. But, I've got a hankering for ribs - so ribs it is! And, I made bread earlier. I've been on a roll lately and I've made bread every Sunday for probably a month or so now... I make it high fiber so I don't feel so guilty eating it. ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been on a roll lately and I've made bread every Sunday for probably a month or so now... I make it high fiber so I don't feel so guilty eating it. ;)

:thumbsup Still haven't made mine :hide but home Wed & Thu so home to do it then. Everything here but, haven't used the bread machine in several years so want to "be around" for first loaf. Can hold 1/2 your recipe. Have several others, even the book! Good girl - packed it together - may wonders never cease :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm tired of my kitchen. :tongue After processing chicken, canning and everything else, today is my day OFF. DH may not know it yet, but we are going out to eat tonight. I am bone weary and freaking tired.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we are going out to eat tonight. I am bone weary and freaking tired.

I bet you are!! And you deserve to go eat out!! You may want to tell DH so he isn't involved with anything else...and ready to go. Hate to see you leave your "best plucker" standing in the dust as you wheel away.:lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I told him early this morning. We are both stretched out in recliners, he's watching TV through his eyelids. LOL He worked hard at feather picking, bless him, he's game for almost anything I throw at him. We're going out for Mexican food. Low carbs be damned, I want chips and salsa!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule - hope you had a delicious dinner out.

Wormed a few goats today..ok...nearly all of them. Started raining a couple weeks ago - so what else would I do? Actually - that's a lie. I wormed the grown goats. One would think that young goats would need it more than adults. But my young goats are mostly Kiko cross babies. Only wormed one of them and it's one that I just banded. And to top it off - his mother doesn't like him very much so he's already a low goat on the totem pole - so he needed a boost. I'm so impressed with the Kiko cross babies. Some of them are well over 6 months old and have never been wormed. I do, however, give them all a coccidia prevention treatment. Don't mess with coccidia - too dangerous not to give it the respect (and prevention) that it needs.

Put some cardboard down in the garden around the red rippers and okra. That's about all I have in the main garden. Tons of peppers and squash in the raised beds. Stuffed some peppers today for lunch. Popcorn and wine for dinner along with a rented movie. Life is good, lol!