Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband ran his foot into the sofa once and ripped his big toenail off. It took 9 months to grow back, just so you know.
Not surprised at all.... I ripped this same toenail off two years ago. It never grew back right and I think that's part of the problem.

Now that I can see under there - it looks like there is a baby toenail that's been trying to grow in from one side...it's strange. I have a fear that it will require more cutting when I go see the podiatrist. But, I need to get this toenail right because it's given me nothing but trouble for two years now... argh.

Still got our eyes on the Gulf around here. This weird TS Barry seems like it's not following any rules. I sure hope it's not decided to back out into the Gulf and regroup and then come back bigger and badder and get us. Stranger things have happened...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope It doesn't back track either. Given the oddities in weather this year, who knows!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like it went ahead and made landfall in Louisiana - just a bit further west than was expected. I'm ok with that.... whew!

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Re: toe....several rounds of ingrown toenail surgeries over the years, I get it. Finally had part of the nail permanently removed, problem solved

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No storm for us - yay!

Yesterday marked the one year anniversary of losing dad. Mom's anniversary was back in May. I made sure I took care of all the legalities of closing down their estate and that was about it at the time. Yesterday I started another emotional journey.

My mother was a bit of a Diva, lol. She had a piece of jewelry for every occasion and then some. She had been doling some of it out to daughters and granddaughters a piece at a time - for years. During the flood clean up - my sister-in-law gathered up all of the jewelry, stuck it in Ziploc bags and gave it to me. Yesterday I finally at down and started to go through it. There's a LOT here.

Like I said - my mom was a Diva and she didn't buy cheap jewelry. She was literally addicted to the "shopping channel" back in the day. They only real disagreement that I can remember between my folks was when my dad forbade her to do anymore shopping. She never really stopped, but she got sneaky enough to have it delivered to a friends house so dad didn't see it all, lol.

The first piece I pulled out was a necklace made from a silver coin, wrapped in a gold holder and a gold chain. A quick look on ebay showed the exact same coin - without the gold chain - listed for nearly $800! Geeze! There are literally pounds and pounds of silver rings, chains, earrings and bracelets. Just noticed a silver bracelet on Etsy - exactly the same one mom had - $100.

I guess the shopping channel sold a bunch of Suarti and Sweet Romance jewelry. She's got tons of it. She loved brooches and that makes up a large majority of what he has. I looked up an elephant brooch with an emerald in the side...it's going on Etsy for nearly $150.00.

A lot of these pieces I actually remember her wearing and it brought back some memories. But, I'm not really sentimental about "things." Things are just things and I see no reason to hang on to them just to be hanging on to them. I've already given my daughter a complete set of pearls that mom had. Necklace, earrings, bracelet and ring....worth several thousand dollars. I'm going to pick a couple of pieces for myself and the granddaughters and probably sell the rest.

I've got my work cut out for me...

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A lot of these pieces I actually remember her wearing and it brought back some memories. But, I'm not really sentimental about "things." Things are just things and I see no reason to hang on to them just to be hanging on to them. I've already given my daughter a complete set of pearls that mom had. Necklace, earrings, bracelet and ring....worth several thousand dollars. I'm going to pick a couple of pieces for myself and the granddaughters and probably sell the rest.

I've got my work cut out for me...

I completely understand. I already gave away all my jewelry, told my daughter to sell the gold, have the stones put in settings that she liked. I'm pretty sure it's all in a dresser drawer. lol

I'm getting rid of 'family heirlooms' as well. My mother died last Sept. in another state. My sister took everything of any value before I got there, but there was an old WW2 footlocker that she couldn't get off a shelf by herself, so I got that! Inside were some wonderful things, and some odd stuff, including my grandmother's address book. WTH? But I took it (plus some old children's books) when I visited my elderly aunt who's in assisted living. She recognized a bunch of names from the address book, remembered reading most of the books when she was a kid. It was awesome. I left everything with her. One of my cousins will eventually take everything home.
I guess the point is there's a home for everything, even if you end up donating or selling stuff. Someone else will enjoy it.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have about turned myself cross-eyed. I've done nothing this afternoon except search the internet for random jewelry pieces. I've found a few treasures and even more duds, lol. It's been a trip down memory lane and I'm maybe 1/10th of the way through.... argh. But, it's a bit of an addiction, lol. I tell myself to walk away and I go feed...come back and search...cook dinner and come back and search. I'm a woman on a mission for sure.