Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So - had the beejeebus scared out of me yesterday. Heard gunshots when I was outside getting ready to feed. CLOSE gunshots and all my animals came high-tailing it back to the barn. Even Maddie was terrified and tried to run OUT the gate when I was trying to get in.

Shots were coming from the field behind me and the weeds are so tall that I couldn't see out far enough. I honestly thought someone was in my pasture shooting. I start yelling and making noise and walking out to the back (probably stupid since I was unarmed at the time). Maddie decided she was my protector at that time....it was kinda nice.

I've had Cowboy locked in the backyard to work on his hot spot and he's been there for days. As soon as the commotion started he scaled the hot-wired fence and was right by my side as I went towards the back. I was kinda pissed at him, but more thrilled that he wasn't letting me go back there without him. The dogs were on either side of me and they didn't stray...stuck right with me the entire time. I love my dogs!!

So...I don't go back there often enough it appears. There are several places on the back fence line where the fence is pushed IN (from the outside) at the top. Kinda like someone might be climbing it... Also found a hole under the fence in the corner with a nice trail going up to it and under.

And - just to make matters interesting - I'm missing a few pigs. Hmmmmm! Me thinks someone is helping themselves to some nice fat piggies. Of course - if the pigs are breaching the fence then who ever's property they are on has every right to shoot 'em... :(. But, ya would think that a nice neighbor might mention it before he shoots 4 or 5 of 'em. GRRRRRR!

I thought I had a couple of sows who might have farrowed out in the tall grass. They do that sometimes and it might take them a week or two to bring the babies up. There's plenty to eat out there right now and a pond to play in so they don't really have to show up for feeding time. Soooo - today I will be working on that scooped out place under the fence and making it pig-proof. There's a couple other places where they ground has pulled away from the fence - not bad yet but I need to pin it down. That's the problem with our ground - when it's muddy it's just muddy - but when it's dry it shrinks like crazy and you get gaps under things.

Thinking I might need a couple "no trespassing" signs a game cam back there too so that when I catch 'em....I've got proof. I really can't say anything IF the pigs are on their property. However, there's two places where the fence is pushed in and it definitely looks like someone is coming on to my property. That's not gonna keep happening! I HATE A THIEF!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
a game cam back there too so that when I catch 'em....I've got proof

Best idea! Glad the doggies were supportive for you.

I'd like one just to see what's wondering around my yards -- like possum, fox, etc.

ETA: Cowboy came over a fence with that collar thing on?? :ep Helluva deal!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cowboy came over a fence with that collar thing on?? :ep Helluva deal!
LOL - he did. But, however he did it - he turned it inside out! I had a heck of a struggle getting it pointed back in the other direction. I think he went through the buck pen. I've been letting them out and have the hot wire turned off in that area - but Cowboy isn't supposed to know that. The dog is psychic I tell ya. But, again am so impressed that he hightailed it out there when he heard that commotion - hot wire be damned!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went out and worked on fence yesterday - again my guardian dogs were guarding me. It's a little unnerving that they feel the need to be right with me when I'm there. It's almost like they know there's been some kind of shenanigans going on out there and they don't want me out there alone.

The game camera is ordered even though I'm afraid it might be hard to get some good shots. This particular area has a lot of cover...but that will get better after I get it mowed. Gotta get that mower on the tractor...ugh. It's so h.a.r.d to do. But, I gotta try (before I call for help, lol)!

Cowboy is back in the yard - and stays there as long as I don't go waaaaay out back. That dog!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:loveCowboy knows his job & he loves you! They do know that there are escapes there, so that makes it a "caution" area for them. You know, it could be a fox or such coming IN to get dinner? Will be interesting to see.

I can get everything connected on my bushhog -- EXCEPT the PTO. I cannot pull the shaft enough to slide all the way on! Now, if the darned cover wasn't in the way, I probably could wrangle it further back & get it done. Going to find a cover with a "zipper", to take it off & on! :D Then I think I can work it. Even looking for a place to get leverage to place a bar thru the big joint & push it on. :idunno So frustrating, right?

Maybe I should remove the cover, see if I can THEN connect and if so...rework/replace the cover part. It's the only attachment I cannot complete. :( Heck, even the backhoe is easier!! Takes time to line it all up so pins all fit thru the reciprocal holes (using the hydraulics - touchy) but, then ok.

I love to use my tractor. Yesterday DS did the PTO for me & I rode in the sun & wind for several hours. :clap But hate to call him for a 5 min problem.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol - I'll be calling my son to help with the stupid PTO. He owes me...he'll always owe me. Forty-one hours of labor... oh wait - I won't bore ya'll with those details! :lol:

I'm getting the grands this weekend - I'm STOKED! Got lots of things planned...still looking at a bunch of options. We will probably be going to see The Lion King, probably skating and the local Fun Jump play place. Swimming at DS's house, and a whole day of cooking. GS wants to cook for us one evening....meatloaf he says. Yum! The two GD's will be making home made macaroni and cheese. I guess I'll make a green-ish veggie or salad so DH can eat summpin' healthy. OH - and they're gonna learn to make bread.

Goats - they pick the weirdest friends. Biggest buck out there is besties with the smallest buck out there. Dusty and Chester:

FAB2D7C7-B651-4F68-B8A2-C7BFE94ED5CD.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If your place is mowed, can you see to the back of it? It sounds like there is something going on back there and your dogs know it.

Latest posts