Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had the grands since last weekend - took them home today. :( Loved every minute of their time here. Actually had all three of 'em this time. Ages almost 13, almost 12, and 8. They are wonderful kids and a pure pleasure to be around. DH didn't have to take out the trash or bring in the cans for a week. He was so appreciative, lol! GD1 helped me cook and learned to bake bread. GD2 loves, loves, loves dogs and spent a LOT of time with Gracie. Gracie had no objection whatsoever!

Now I get to go out and catch up on a week of "goating" that didn't get done while they were visiting. Of course, they helped me feed, but nothing else was accomplished, and that's ok.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got some much needed 'goating' done this afternoon. Decided to pull the wethers that will be butchered this fall off of their mama's. They have done a great job of getting them raised up to this point. Their job is done and they need a break before breeding time this fall. Two of the wethers will be butchered when the weather cools off a bit. The other two will likely get another couple months of growing before they move on to the freezer.

Same thing with some roo's. I have too many boys running around out there and causing hell and havoc, lol. I really like the Naked Neck roo's though. They are good sized and have a nice long meaty breast. Not Cornish X's but decently meaty guys.

Opened the gate to the garden and let the bucks have at it. They did a heck of a job cleaning it up. Might put a couple smallish pigs in there and let them make a contribution to the fertility in that area.

Back to work Monday...:( Retirement can't get here soon enough!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you had an ENTIRE week with the grands. It's wonderful that they are such participants. So many now just sit with their phones/tablets, etc. (MY DGD!!) Rarely having a conversation. Sad, really. You are fortunate!

Before I forget -- you need to update on DHs hand and Cowboys butt. :D

I have some "goating" to do, also. Seems so many other things just get in the way or are such immediate gotta do's....someone is loose, stuck, hurt, etc. :idunno And you can't just ignore a flat tire, as you are ready to drive away :th Then, there's that "work" issue which compounds every minute of time needed. But, you can at least "count the days"! Around 180?:clap Only 6 months. :celebrate

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you had an ENTIRE week with the grands. It's wonderful that they are such participants.
They really are participants - and they love coming to "the farm." Well two of them do. The oldest GD is not much into outdoor activities...she's more of an inside AC type of gal. But, she did come out a couple times and participate. She may not necessarily want to be out there - but she hates to be left out of anything - so it works!

Dh's hand is pretty good. He's gaining strength every day. At every follow-up he can perform better on the strength tests. He occasionally still has some pain, but it's waning for sure.

Cowboy - ARGH! I've gone through two "cones of shame" and he does great if I can keep them on him. The spot will dry out and start to heal over - but then he gets the cone off and chews on it and all forward progress is stopped. Soooo annoying.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I spent a little time cleaning out the bottom of the hutch in the dining room. I have/had a lot of random glassware in there. Lots of wine glasses, champagne glasses, martini and/or margarita glasses that never got used. My son is creating the most awesome bar in his garage in a prohibition era '20's décor. These glasses were old - but not quite that old, lol. Some of them even had the initial of our last name etched into them. I had gotten a lot of them as wedding gifts waaaaaay back in the 70's. So now he has plenty of etched crystal bar-ware.

While he was here - he helped me get the mower hooked up to the tractor. Wait - who am I kidding? HE hooked the mower up and I watched and commiserated with him. I think I have decided to N.E.V.E.R take it off of the tractor again, lol. However that will make moving round bales a whole lot harder. I've decided to get a hay fork that will bolt on to the FEL. The only problem with that is that the bucket on my FEL won't stay up....it needs some kind of valve replacement. I hate to ask him to do it - so I might look at just getting somebody to come out here and fix it....or haul it in for repair....but what a PIA. Oh well...part of life.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I pulled up a doe today that I want to try and milk. Luna is one of the Kinders that was a FF this year. She's got a really nice udder and is a pretty calm doe. She's not big and she was feeding a singleton so I don't expect to get a bunch of milk out of her - but DH and I don't really use a bunch of milk. I put her on the milk stand when I brought her up and just let her eat a little feed. I even managed to handle her udder a little and squeeze a little out of each teat. Hope she continues to do well - I miss goat milk!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went for actual milking this evening. Luna didn't do terrible on the milk stand - but she wasn't perfect either. For the first time - I'm pretty ok with how she behaved. Got a whopping pint of milk, lol. But it's a good thing to get her accustomed to the process even if I don't milk her for months and months. I like my gals to tolerate milking even if they aren't destined to be forever milkers. We'll do more. Debated bringing the other doe whose baby is being weaned also in for milk training - but I think I'll just wait until next freshening for her. One's enough for now.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Actually a pint a day may be perfect for you two. :idunno I've got 2 doing 1X day and occasional on a 3rd (she weaning her kid does--sometimes lopsided) But from these two it's a gallon a day. A lot for just me. I did make ricotta last night. Tomorrow home -- will use up another 4-5 gallons on cheese. You know it's a lot of work because you have done it! :D But I so love a glass of cold, fresh milk.

I let this batch of ricotta drain and I should have left a little more whey as it's almost cream cheese now. TASTY but, looser for ricotta would be better. Of course, it's whole milk and that's thicker, vice whey ricotta.

GREAT idea on the bar ware. Geesh, I am looking at that & china. No one wants it. It costs money, can't just junk it!! My being won't let me. :lol: Maybe I should drink my evening glass of wine in those fancy cut glass crystal ones.:old I'm worth it.

You re-working your kitchen made me do part of mine. More coming. Now you are doing a trip thru the dining room:barnie -- give me a break :th:lol: You go gal, I'll watch.

I have concern for NH Homesteader...she stopped so abruptly. Have you had any communication? Know preg & new house & all, still not like her to just "stop". Hope all is ok.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A pint a day will be plenty for coffee...not much more than that but that's ok. I'm just thrilled to have some milk.

I had to bring Noir up and milk her out. I stopped milking her several months ago but her udder never shrank up. I milked out almost a gallon today of just watery looking milk. Wasn't true milk but it didn't smell bad, didn't have lumps or clumps and didn't set off a mastitis indicator. Not sure why she didn't absorb it and empty out that udder. I'll check to see if she fills back up - but I don't think she will.

Already time to start thinking about breeding plans for the fall. I've decided I'll do my big herd reduction after kidding season this year. I still need some of those does right now - and as long as I'm still working - I'm going to keep the does I want to keep, lol.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Already time to start thinking about breeding plans for the fall. I've decided I'll do my big herd reduction after kidding season this year. I still need some of those does right now - and as long as I'm still working - I'm going to keep the does I want to keep, lol.

You will be using your newer buck? I know you said the parasite resistance seemed better. A definite plus! Are his kids going to be used for milking, or mainly for meat sales? The size & body composition was something you were looking for, also. Hey, you can always keep a doe or two with great milk & let the rest just raise babies. :idunno Sell to buyers who want goatmeat. Market is decent here as some buy and take a load a few hours North and do well. Butchers buying them for their ethic customers up that way.

And you will be home more for this kidding season! :D It's always best when there is time to handle the kids for a few weeks, not just birthing day and occasional after. Especially if we want to milk.

I have 2 or 3 does I will sell, to make room and because they just aren't easy to handle. I didn't handle much as kids and their mothers were not "in your pockets". Have too many, with a couple coming up I want to keep instead. Believe auction this coming wknd. Calling tomorrow to be sure. Don't need to feed them all winter. One is such a pudge I thought about butchering her but, don't really need the meat, so $$ sounds better. Would go to a butcher, not self doing. Plus -- these 5 bucklings are outa here!!!

Had a doeling get stuck today and as I went to rescue, I told myself, she's the one I couldn't catch to deworm. AHA!! took paste with me and did that while I had a grip :lol: Hershey wasn't thrilled. That'll teach her!