Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have been marking some things offa the list today! First order of business was try to get itty, bitty Chester to have a successful date with one of the big ol' Nubian does. That went over like a lead balloon.... ugh. She (Spot) wanted Dusty and she wasn't having any part of Chester. Even with Chester elevated closer to her height she was having none of Chester. I held her and tried to convince her of Chester's charms for close to a half-hour. But nope...she would move, or clamp her tail down, or somehow get prone on the ground with me astraddle her (not by choice of course). But, better to land on a soft goat if you go down and it's totally HER fault.

DH and I headed to TSC earlier and picked up a whole bunch of supplies - like 8 combo livestock panels. The good ones with the smaller spacing on the bottom like a hog panel - but a full 50 inches tall. Picked up 4 hog panels too and an 8 foot gate. Wanted two gates, but they only had one in stock. Best part - goats paid for it all!! Nice when they can pay for a few of their own extras.

First thing I did was unload the hog panels. Big Daddy has been running wild and free creating hell and havoc for a month or so now (maybe longer) - ever since the electric fence was shorting out and not at full power. I took a couple of those panels and built a nice funnel leading right up to the gate to the boar pen. He's nosy so he walked right in. I closed off the funnel with him in it and opened the gate to the boar pen. Woo Hoo - he is contained again now, but probably after he's taken care of business that didn't need taken care of.

Yesterday DH and I went up and picked up the mini-fridge and microwave from my office. Not much left in there! We got those out of the back of the truck. Not sure what I'm gonna do with 'em. Might find some body who needs 'em and make a holiday donation.

Need to finish feeding and then put my feet up and enjoy an adult beverage. Not cold enough for the hot tub tonight, but I enjoyed it last night for sure.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think you are going to hit retirement at a run. You will fan the enthusiasm to a white hot heat for awhile, in the excitement of being able to do whatever you want. Then things will calm down, your body will realize that it doesn't have to get everything done NOW. It will just get better and better.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It will just get better and better.
Totally agree! I do have a lot of things to get done - but I'm pretty good at pacing myself. I have an old body and am grateful that so far its still chugging along. But, I have learned that it's not okay to abuse it, lol! My poor ol' body is already thanking me because I've had some trouble with my hips lately. It's not arthritis and it's not in the joint itself - thankfully. But it's the hip flexors, piriformis muscle and some tendons that are inflamed from sitting so much. Since I've been off several days it's already getting better cuz goodness knows I'm not sitting much, lol. I've been doing some specific stretches that are helping too. Gotta take care of this vessel - it needs to last me a long time.

I recently posted a craigslist ad offering free pork in exchange for help with butchering. I've had a couple folks respond but they've all flaked out on me. But, I heard from another guy who is "supposed" to show up in the morning. He wanted to come this afternoon, but I had too much going on. We'll see if he shows tomorrow. Either way - a pig is going to get butchered.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My doctor says "motion is lotion [for the joints]." Keep moving :love
I totally agree! I've been up and down offa the tractor today and moving all day long. I told DH yesterday that I can't sit or stand still very well - but I can dang sure keep moving, lol.

Nothing like a session of Tai Chi if I wake up stiff and sore
Tai Chi is something that I intend to investigate. DH worked away from home for 8 or 9 months some years back. While he was alone and looking for ways to try and improve his health and mobility he went to some tai chi sessions sponsored by a local church. He loved it (!) but didn't continue when he got back home.

Four less mouths to feed at my house. A couple of guys showed up this morning and we butchered the heck out of two barrows, one boar and a roaster sized pig. It was nice to get that offa the plate!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WooHoo - 4 less mouths to feed - meat for my freezer - meat for other folks freezers and everybody is happy (except maybe the pigs). I'm tired...walked over 4 miles so far today and still need to do a little cooking for tomorrow.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad for the freezer hogs AND the "help"!!!

While I think another pig in the freezer would be nice, I just am not wanting to bring one home right now. That said, my usual cruising through CL found this newly posted item....FREE PIGS. Of course, I had to look. 14 AGHs...all female...50-100#. FREE -- yeah, they wanted out of it! You know I struggled with that one! :lol: While they would let you select one or two, they wanted all at once if offered.

NO -- I am not the proud new owner. GOOD girl. You can see, however, that I am still wondering why I didn't go there. It's so hard to control ourselves.:old

But, I will thank you for the strength to resist. I have plenty of meat in the freezer, want to cut back feed bill, want to stay home. You are doing this. So, thanks for keeping my vision on track -- without your even knowing it. I'm still planning for Boers next year. Not big numbers, maybe 8-10. Our market is good here for meaty.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
NO -- I am not the proud new owner. GOOD girl. You can see, however, that I am still wondering why I didn't go there. It's so hard to control ourselves.:old
You did GOOD! It's hard to resist a deal like that - but gotta keep the long term goal in mind.

I'm finding out that the market for wethers here is thriving so I can only imagine that it would be great for pure meaty goats. Mine are crosses and they still sold very well.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First Thanksgiving down. Went to DH's family yesterday. Had a couple minor hiccups. You know how it is with family....but it shouldn't be my own DH that annoyed the crap out of me. Grrrrr! But, we had a little discussion this morning and he's back in line, lol!

Tomorrow will be another feast at my DS's house. Thank goodness he's local! I'm working on a couple of my contributions today. Already made the obligatory chocolate pie for my son. Its the ONE thing that can never be eliminated. This year I'm making an old favorite from his childhood....a frozen chocolate pie. It truly is the best chocolate pie I've ever put my mouth around.

I'll boil the eggs for the devils and make the stuffing - but wait to assemble them tomorrow. Then sugar free Watergate salad for DH. Tomorrow I'll do the fresh garlic green beans and the roasted brussels sprouts and the ham. We're not eating until 5 so plenty of time.

Hope to find some time this afternoon to work on another raised bed and maybe even get some more seeds in the ground. I'm having fun with my fall/summer/winter/fall-ish garden.

Latest posts