Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We feed her commercial food, just not food "made" for pigs. It's actually cattle feed, Blue Seal Milk Maker, but it meets all her nutritional requirements. We mix it half and half with corn. Plus she gets goodies, and she's got grass and whatever she scrounges up. Plus whenever we try to give her hay as bedding she eats most of it!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh that's cool! Except I hate horse racing, but cool to have all the ponies around. My SIL used to have racehorses. How anyone who knows what happens to racehorses can stomach putting their horses through that is beyond me. She had a horse die from what was done to it off at training but she would have had to spend a lot of money to prove it.

Ireland is horse racing mad too… Even our small village has a betting shop on the corner. But I guess with you-know-who down the road it would've been strange if we didn't! I used to ride retired race horses, when I was in my teens. Wonderful animals and holy crap, those things could run fast! Loved letting them loose to gallop. I'm not into racing though I do love the horses and would dearly love to see some from our famous stud's, but they keep them well tucked away.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got the last two big bales this morning. I decided to stop at eight. I think the most round bales I've ever gotten in a year is six - but those years I always had at least 50 squares. I think this will work for me just fine. If not - I can still snag some from the same place I'm sure.

I still need to go move the big male pigs and get the dogs their heartworm prevention taken care of.

I caught mom outside cleaning off the back porch. Made her feel better and helped me out some too. :)

I've been in contact with some folks about some quail today. Told the seller that I might pick some up this afternoon. Told DH he has to get the auto watering system set up for 'em. So, what did he do? He decided to go run errands in town....geeze! So, I dunno if I'll get em today or not. Grrrrrr!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did raise quail until a snake found 'em. Didn't have Gracie then - and don't think a snake would get past her now. That dog is always "on"! For a self-sufficient type animal they can't hardly be beat. Except for not re-producing on their own they're just about perfect for me. I like the fact that there is such a quick turn around on them. They incubate quick (17 days), they grow quick (6 weeks they're laying or big enough to butcher) and quick/easy to butcher (about 5 minutes from a live bird to one ready for the pan or the freezer). What's not to like?

Got one of the pigs moved - haven't even tried to move the big guy yet. That's gonna be fun....uh...probably not. Hope the fence where I want him to stay will keep him in. It should...I had bigger hogs in there before and had no problems...but they weren't intact hogs looking for a date either, lol. He is so stinkin' strong!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eek good luck moving big piggie!

How many quail do you have to butcher for a meal though? That would be my issue with them! The woman I got one of my goats from got quail (that have since been massacred by a wild critter I'm afraid) primarily to make mayonnaise with their eggs. Apparently they do not have potential salmonella issues like raw chicken eggs? That's what she said anyway...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dunno about the salmonella issues... but they are darn tasty eggs. Takes 3-4 to equal a hens egg though. I might try them to make mayo... but DH never eats homemade mayo - he's a Hellman's guy.

When I cook quail - I usually fix 3 for DH and 2 for me. That's plenty for a meal. They are really tasty too - so that helps. I like 'em marinated with honey and OJ and wrapped in bacon... oh my...my mouth is watering now, lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know... I have issues eating meat off the bone so eating an entire little bird like that would weird me out a little.