Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hadn't baked in years either. DH was saying last night that even if he can't eat much of it - he loves the smell of bread baking. So...what's a wife to do? I had to give him that experience again, right? Even if I'm forced to eat it all, lol. However, I'm showing some serious self restraint here - I wrapped up one loaf and have it in the freezer. I probably need to freeze at least half of the other one. It sure is tasty though...:drool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's an old recipe that I used to make almost every day in my other life...very simple recipe that gives good result every time.

REDEEMER BREAD
Pour 2 c. boiling water over
1 c. All Bran cereal
3/4 c. shortening
1 tbsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar

Cool to lukewarm. Dissolve 2 packages yeasts in 1/2 cup warm water. Add to cooled mixture. Add 2 slightly beaten eggs. Add 6 1/2 to 7 cups flour; knead, let rise, punch down and put in greased pans and let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

If you've never made bread before the directions are really, really basic and kinda sketchy. I don't remember the original recipe that I had years ago calling for two packages of yeast - but it worked.

Also, DH couldn't find All Bran cereal so he bought Crackling Oat Bran. I was afraid it might alter the flavor too much because it's kinda sweet and has a touch of cinnamon - but it worked out fine.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's pretty tasty. Had a slice for a late breakfast.

It's my last day off of my six day break. Trying to get a few more seeds in the ground. I went ahead and planted a little patch of corn. Haven't planted any in forever...except for last year when the cute little bunnies enjoyed every. stinking. seedling. I planted twice - then gave up. I'm planting this little patch in the front area. Hopefully the bunnies won't be so bold closer to the house.

I have a few volunteer mystery plants that decided to grow right in front of both gates going into the garden. I've already stomped a few of them unfortunately - so I dug a couple up and we'll see if they survive being moved to a whole new area. Can't wait to see what they turn out to be. I planted several different squashes and melons last year so it's probably a leftover from one of 'em.
DH found out he will getting paid out for 70 hours of PTO when he retires. That'll be a tidy little sum. Guess it'll cover those car repairs he just had, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh geeze....

DH's replacement started work yesterday so he could have a week to train her. She left early for an appointment - and didn't show up today. He has been asked to push back his retirement date. He doesn't have to do it - but I think he's gonna stick around a bit longer. I told him to go ahead and retire, but go back as contract consultant at an exorbitant hourly salary, lol.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh geeze indeed! He shouldn't have to push back his retirement date, they should find a better candidate to replace him. And quick! Though with that said this bit:

I told him to go ahead and retire, but go back as contract consultant at an exorbitant hourly salary, lol.

Sounds like a fab idea! :thumbsup

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man is his job that scary? Lol! But seriously that's obnoxious! I'm not nice enough to stay, I say it's their problem. But only because I know he works at a hospital, if it was like a small family business I would say differently. Or, like you said, work as a consultant for stupid big money!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's too nice, lol. He feels this obligation to help them out...blah...blah...blah.

Hopefully one of the other candidates will be thrilled to be called back and will be able to come on board. If that happens I would guess they would need to give notice at their current position and then make the move. So, maybe two weeks to a month? I dunno...he doesn't sound really upset about it. He likes to feel needed!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo! Got a huge load of food pantry "rejects" today. Probably 250 lbs of potatoes, bananas, apples, pears, fresh pineapple, brussels sprouts, romaine, iceburg, squash... The pigsters are going to be eating good for a while, lol. It's funny though....cuz the goats and horses get in on the melee too. I never thought a horse would eat a banana, lol. But they do...and they eat potatoes too...and so do goats. The one thing NOTHING eats is citrus. They just aren't fans... won't touch 'em. They'll eat onions before they'll get near an orange...:idunno