Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think these micro greens and the cut & come lettuces have a more intense flavor to them. The lettuces work well for me with only one to fed. But chickens LOVE those micros! I've rea the nutritional profile is higher, also.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've read the same thing about the nutrition. I like the idea of fresh, homegrown greens, and, the flavor is unique to each one. Eventually I may get around to trying different ones. Right now I have a whole bunch of popcorn to get through lol. The popcorn is interesting. At first taste it's like grass, lol. But then you notice the corn flavor come through and a hint of sweetness. I was surprised that DH liked it as much as I do. He does love the radish greens too - it's got a nice little spicy bite. Really noticeable in a salad.

Today's chore - clean out my truck. Ugh! I've let it get way too cluttered and I'm taking some gals from work to lunch tomorrow so now is the time to get it done. I'll pick up some feed while I'm in town. Need to shop for a new rug for in front of the kitchen sink. The one I have is old and looking pretty grungy.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I generally wrap them in bacon, sometimes put a jalapeno in the cavity because DH loves hot stuff. I've marinated them in savory and sweet sauces. Really you can cook them just like you do any poultry recipe - but faster!
In a place near my wife's family in Mississippi, the quail carcass is simply battered and deep fried whole....like everything else in the joint, including mac and cheese. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In a place near my wife's family in Mississippi, the quail carcass is simply battered and deep fried whole....like everything else in the joint, including mac and cheese. LOL
OH YUM! That sounds delish. We fry very little around here but I might be tempted to try it at least once. :drool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous day today! A tiny bit windy, but clear and blue and decent temps. Spent some time outside and loved every minute of it.

Had to do some distasteful dog corrections yesterday. Missy has been jumping the fence in places that even Cowboy never thought of - even though it's electrified all the away around. If she clears it by a foot it can't get her right? So, I had to convince her that the fence bites even from distance. I took a lightweight chain and laid it out next to the fence and then hung the end over the electric tape. Then she and I went for a walk. Sometimes it took two or three passes for her to step on that chain - and when she did - she got "bitten." Poor girl :(- by the third time she was convinced that she didn't want to go near there again. She must've made the connection because she was still in the pasture this morning. I hope she can make that mental transition to extend to all areas of the fence. If not, we'll have to go for a walk again....sigh.

Had a text-versation with a prospective tractor repair guy. My tractor is sick and needs some attention. At first glance the repairs are going to be in the area of 2K - yikes! Might not be that bad - but that should be worst case scenario. DH is like....that'd be a good down payment on a new one. It's only a tiny bit tempting, lol. But nope - not gonna happen.

Put some cabbage seedlings in the ground this morning - need to go put a light layer of hay over them for tonight. It's gonna be a bit cool. Probably overprotective - but they're just babies, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chilly this morning! High 30's....brrrr. For me, anything under 60 is cold, lol.

Tractor repair guys are coming today. They think the needed repairs are extensive so they'll probably be picking up the tractor and taking it back to their shop. I'm looking forward to getting ol' Blue back in tip-top condition!

Baby quail are a week old. Really glad to have had this hatch even though it wasn't quite all I wanted it to be. I need males! The one and only male I had committed suicide. He decided to jump out when I was feeding and Gracie was so proud of herself when she caught him for me... :( She's a good bird catcher - but she's not at all gentle and the male didn't survive. So, now I really need for some of these babies to be male!

While it's so disgustingly wet outside I've started working on the hoard of clothes that live in my room. Started yesterday and already have quite a pile of 'donate' clothes. I'll be happy to have them gone and our local DAV store will be happy to get them.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Missy? What have I missed? Or is “Oldtimers” starting to work on my already feeble mind?

That is a good hatch, hope you have some boys in there. The quail are good dropped in a pot of gumbo too. Messy, but good!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't wait until I'm eating them again. Also, I'd like to eventually get enough to do some raw feeding to the dogs. That'll be awhile.

Great big LOL! Nope you're not having an old-timers moment. Missy is my "secret" LGD and has been around for awhile. In fact, since she was a puppy in the spring of 2018. I never mentioned anything about her for
several reasons. For one thing - she is Cowboy's daughter, lol. And some people say stupid things about breeding dogs and at that time in my life (when mom and dad were here) I just didn't feel like dealing with any negativity. A very good friend of mine had a beautiful GP female. They bought some land and went from 4 acres to 40 and wanted more LGD's. Her gal cooperated - Cowboy cooperated and they had the cutest little family. She had 6 pups, lost one, I got one and the rest stayed with her on her new place.

Missy has been a challenge from the beginning. I think her slow start was in part because I just couldn't give her what she needed at the time. She's never been a "bad" dog (until her recent discovery of how high she can jump) but she needed guidance. Maddie tried to train her like she trained Cowboy - but Cowboy had other ideas. He grew into a bit of a bully and he was constantly scolding Missy. As a result, she was very tentative for the longest time and honestly I didn't know if she'd really ever turn into a good LGD. (My other reason for keeping hush-mouthed about her.) But, oh my - she has blossomed! For the longest time I didn't think she would ever 'bond’ with the goats the way Cowboy has. But she’s getting there - even though he doesn't really want her to - he’s selfish with his goats. But, she's turned into a good overall guardian and has finally gained her confidence. She is still submissive to Cowboy but she's learned to fight back. It helps that she is just about the same size that he is. She's BIG!

Presenting Missy:
181A60D4-BC23-4605-90AB-11AD62D38C40.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts