Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Caramelize onions, freeze in ice cube trays, then toss into a bag. Wow, so convenient when you want that flavor in cooking and not wanting to separately cook onions. Garlic is good like this, too.

Of course, sin you are now retired...you may have time. :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dehydrated onions once when I was given a big bag of them. They were good over salads, soups, snacking and on roast beef with bullion cubes.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll definitely dehydrate some and may do the ice cube tray thing too. It'll give me smaller amounts for those times when that's all I need. All I know is that after this I may never even want to see another onion, lol! My neighbor told me to chop some up and feed to the chickens for increased egg production. Sounds like one of those "old wives tales" to me - but a lot of those OWT's are based on experience. I'll give it a try and report back. ;)

Time to start thinking about getting the CDT shots to the pregger gals. Need to get that done within the next couple weeks. That ought to be fun....ugh.

Our original plans for today were to go out for my b'day lunch. But, it's kinda cruddy outside and DH's pump kept him awake a lot last night so we might put it off. Doesn't really matter - we can go whenever the mood strikes... And, it's not like I don't have a ton of onions waiting for me.

Got tickled at Cowboy yesterday. I was out feeding and afterwards giving him and Missy a bunch of love. It's really muddy and Missy was being a bit … exuberant and nearly knocked me down. I fussed at her and Cowboy took a cue. He stepped up right beside me - doing the Anatolian "lean" into me - and proceeded to snarl at anything that came near me, lol. Missy, the horses, the pigs, the goats - none of them were able to get within 3 feet of me. Love that guy! :love

I've been working with him and Missy to "brace" when I lean on them. It's really so muddy that sometimes I need to have an anchor for those times when I'm slip-sliding away. Cowboy has it all figured out. He'll walk right beside me and I can reach down and use him for a bit of extra stability when I've got a 30lb bucket in the other hand and am off-balance. He really is an exceptional guy! (am I gushing?)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks!

Ended up putting the cooked onions in the fridge - just didn't have time to can 'em today. An overflowing crock pot full of onions cooked down by about 2/3rds. Probably only enough for about 2.5 quarts. I've got two crock pots so I'll fill 'em both up and then do the canning all at once. Seems a bit silly to piecemeal them a little at a time.

Hate to say that lunch was a bit of a disappointment....:( Dontcha just hate it when you get a great build up for something and it just doesn't work out the way you thought it would. Oh well, it was still a nice lunch - DH is pretty good company. :love Back to regularly scheduled farming tomorrow, lol.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With all those onions you could pickle some with carrots, cauliflower

Oh, yeah! I love that kind of mix. It's a nice little side on a summer sandwich platter. Many combos, too. When tomatoes are in I like to chunk them, onions green peppers and marinate in olive oil with a touch of vinegar. Yum.

So, now I'm craving.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Waaaay too much stress lately! Had a major mix-up with health insurance - and was afraid we were about to be canceled. We ended up driving to Austin and back on Saturday to make an emergency pmt. Finally today the pmt was posted and we're good. If we had been canceled with all of DH's health issues - it would have been baaaad news for sure.

Got the tractor back too! Yay! Works great and feels better and stronger than it ever has. I think I'd been having clutch issues for a long time and just didn't realize it. I needed to move a round bale today but when we went to put the hay fork back on we were missing a pin. How did that happen... I dunno. But by the time DH got back from TSC - it was pretty much dark.. I did get the bale pulled out from it's storage place but wasn't able to get it moved to it's final resting place. I'm sure I'll get wet moving it tomorrow. Rain is supposed to be here by morning - ugh.

Bucks are still running with the does - just makes life a little easier. Discovered that one of the young kiko cross does was in heat today. How the heck did that happen when there's been a buck around her since early November? Oh well... maybe I'll have kids in July? Summer babies suck - but having a doe in milk later than the others isn't a bad thing.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What a relief to have it sorted out! Health insurance stuff like that is so stressful! When I was in the hospital with preterm labor, expecting to have a NICU baby in 24 hours, something happened with our health insurance. I don't remember the details - DH handled it - but I do recall how stressful and scary it was to think that we might have a million-dollar baby without health insurance. DH is cool as a cucumber under stress but he lost it over that incident, I've never seen him so rattled before! :eek:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Insurance is a necessary evil. Why do they have to make it so hard to deal with them? I haven't had insurance for 10 years. I quit my job to care for my mom, and that was that. I looked at Obamacare, $10,000 deductible and almost $1,000 a month, and this is the AFFORFABLE care act? Enter cuss words here_____________ ____________________________________________________________________________________

So in the last 10 years I've been very blessed, been to the doctor twice, paid cash and gave thanks to my Lord.

Latest posts