Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Definitely glad we got the insurance sorted out.

Got the round bale moved this morning - yay! Goats were thrilled to see it coming and virtually attacked it before I could even get it in place. Then there was the battle of getting them away from it so I could get the panels around it, lol. You'd think they hadn't seen hay in weeks - when in reality there was never a break. I took the last of the previous bale and moved it into the individual hay feeders inside the barn and there was still hay in there this morning. Silly goats!

Started a bunch of tomato plants and have really good germination. Glad about that. Need to start some hot peppers for DH and DS. They love them! DS doesn't consider himself a gardener, but he's kept a pepper plant alive since 2018. I gave it to him for his b'day that year and he's still got it and it has peppers on it right now! He brings it inside every time the weather gets cold and they hand pollinate every blossom, lol. It's working - he has fresh peppers and I don't.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
used to have co-worker who would start a late summer tomato, bring it inside in Fall and set at her picture window. The pollinate and have tomatoes in winter. That's dedication. I just eat a canned one. LOL

You are ahead of me -- nothing started. Off SatSim so, if rain stops I may put some seed into starter cups -- something that can take the cooler temps. About 2 wks before I will start tomatoes.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a neighbor who did the same thing with a tomato....yep more dedication than me!

I've direct sowed some lettuces and pak choi...or is it bak choi…:old in the raised beds. I've planted sugar snap peas three times. I think it's about time I admit that those seeds are no good... :( I ordered some more and hope to get those in the ground this weekend. I'm chomping at the bit to get some real gardening going. We're going to get cold tonight. Well.... cold for here anyway. They're calling for a low of 39ish I think.

Got some more goodies from the food bank...some carrots and potatoes mostly. I'm going back Friday for some bread. Never gotten that before...

This cooler weather makes me hungry, lol. (any excuse, huh?) I'm making some spoon rolls because I am a breadaholic. But, I'd rather have brownies because I'm a brownie-aholic too. LOL!

The girls are really getting some bellies now and a few are starting their beginning udders. Two more months to go....argh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crazy times around here.

Was tossing out goodies to the goats/chickens/pigs/horses the other day and during the melee one of the goats was injured. I didn't see it happen but one of my Kinder gals is limping badly on a hind leg. No swelling or heat that I can find - so I've got her in a kidding stall. She's not happy about it but adjusting.

I've had several guys out to give me estimates on some work on my house. Argh. Home ownership is not so fun all the time.

DH has had a couple doc appointments. He finally got a new set of glasses and his vision is soooo much better! Yay for that!

I've got a bunch of seeds going...had to up-pot a few of them the other day. Hopes are high for this years garden - but isn't it always, lol. With no hard freeze (yet?) this year not sure how horrible the garden pests will be... kind of a scary thought.

Quail are just about ready to go outside. Need to decide if I'm leaving the pens where they are or move them to a more convenient place. Decisions, decisions.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The injured Kinder gal is finally walking marginally better. I let her out of the kidding stall for a bit of sunshine today. Hope it helps her attitude cuz she's not happy with me these days! Oh well...nothing new there.

This termite issue might be the death of me yet - or at least the death of my bank account. The treatment wasn't cheap and the repairs are going to be even more not cheap. I'm going to throw in a few cosmetic jobs while I've got a crew here. Anybody else get saddled with popcorn texture on their ceilings? If I could find the guy who invented that stuff I'd torture him slowly and thoroughly! I dislike it immensely! While the sheetrock crew is here I'm having them remove all that mess from the downstairs ceilings and retexture. Sounds like fun...not. It is going to be messy to the max. We're already starting to get ready for furniture moving and such. I need to roll up my living room rug and remove it from the work area. Not going to have it damaged. So much to do. Thankful that I have a couple weeks to start getting ready for the invasion.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Unless the popcorn ceiling was painted, it is usually easy to remove by yourself. Put plastic on the floor first. Then mist a smallish area (4'x4') with water and let it sit about 15 minutes. Scrape off the popcorn with a wide putty knife. Move ladder - mist a new area
When we did ours, there was only one spot that needed to be filled in with drywall compound and a light sanding, prime and paint and it was done.

But you have the drywall guys there anyway - so let them do it.

You will be so much happier when that popcorn ceiling is gone and painted! boo to the mess and hassle of getting it done though.