Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Termites would sure bum me!! Sounds like you had a real good infestation if you are talking walls & ceilings. Are the studs that bad? If so, the floor joists? Or do you have no crawl space?

Maybe the website is down for ??? weather or updates. LOL you know how that goes. Mine was out with the recent storms for a few hours....and occasionally the satellite can't pick up in other areas with weather issues.

I'm certain you will work it all out.....since you're home ALL THE TIME FOR RETIREMENT!!!!!!! :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm bummed.... for sure. But, glad we found 'em before the place falls down around us, lol. And hey - I get some new things - like walls and ceilings!

I tried the New Country Organics website again tonight...no luck. I'll call them in the morning.

And..... just to make my life more fun and interesting I have a $64 dollar Pay Pal withdrawal from my bank account that I didn't make! Soooo, about to start the fight over that. Grrrrr! Why can't things be easy anymore?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when people complain about the cold climate termites and fireants are the two things that remind me why it is ok up here. i've also heard of other things like kudzu, cement eating snails and crazy ants. i'm really facinated by ants, but i'm not sure i want to pick any fights with them more than what we already have with the black carpenter ants.

for termites i'd be a bit put off because of how much i like having chunks of dead wood around (not too close to the house) and even as it is i have to check at least once a week for any attempts to build new nests in the walls of the house or nearby.

a few years ago some ants had decided one of their scouting trails was through my wall and across my futon here. i'm not sure what they found that was so interesting but i traced them and plugged their paths and also baited them outside to discourage any nests associated with that line of thought to seek elsewheres. i could not trace the whole way back to a nest outside, there's just too many possible places they can hang out out there... eek! but it is at least a good 50ft or more from the house.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
cement eating snails
I have NOT seen that yet, lol! Not sure I want to either. Yikes!

Did a couple more errands today and really would like to stay home for awhile now. I hate errands...

Doled out another round bale to the goats. Did it a little differently and put it in a pen where I can limit their access to it. I've noticed the goats going out to browse pretty regularly lately so they can continue that trend and save me some hay money. Had to put some t-posts in the ground to anchor a tarp so that I can keep rain off of it. Thankfully I was able to use the bucket on the tractor to push the t-posts into the ground. I love my tractor and am so glad it's all better now!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tons of stuff on the (never-ending) list. Isn't that the way it always is? I ordered two native plum trees. They have patiently been waiting on me to get them in the ground so I need to oblige them today. Might take a chance and get some tomatoes set out also. I hope :fl that with a freeze earlier this week - we're past our "winter" weather.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had the most beautiful spring day! Oh wait - it's still February, But it was still beautiful.

I got the two plum trees planted. They were happy about that. I mowed the yard. I was happy about that. Got some goat, chicken, pig, dog chores done. Horses were left out as usual.

AND....drum roll please...the 43 day old quail started laying today. Those little birds constantly amaze me! I'll let them get some more practice then I'll load the incubator again. I'm ready to eat a quail dinner. :drool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happy March!

Lots of fun SS things on the list today. I am going to put out some tomatoes. It's March...the weather is temperate, the tomatoes want to be unleashed, and I'm ready to garden! Yippee!

Other not so fun stuff on the list is that I need to empty out the vanity in the master bath. That bathroom is set to be gutted and given a beauty treatment soon!!! I'm excited. I need to start shopping for a new vanity. More money slipping through my fingers, but I'm ok with it. Gotta do whatcha gotta do, right?

Three boars are on the chopping block Monday. At least that's what's supposed to happen. I've had a guy who has been promising he wants 'em....but he's not been here yet. Twice I've told him they have to get off of my feed bill and into his freezer. Finally gave him an ultimatum - if they don't go to him Monday morning - they go to my neighbor Monday evening.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's beautiful weather here today, also.

The goats just can't seem to eat enough when preggers & /or nursing, can they? Mine are bottomless pits. Have one doe whose kids are going to be weaned so I can milk her...soon as I get my butt to finish the pen.

Good luck with the pigs. :lol:

I see veggie starts at all the "home stores" & TSC....who also have chicks. This year they also have turkey polts! Not for me but, I love to look at them. Now, those quail who are laying at 6 weeks -- wow!! It's like birds, so much shorter set time & mature time. You see those mouths in the nest and 3 wks later they are flying. Wouldn't it be nice if chickens were faster? Of course, they are pretty good but, 5-7 months on the heavy birds to lay. Hmmm. Would like 4 months. LOL

Do your Lavender Orps lay a pink-ish egg??

I'd like to till but not "quite" dry enough....rain again Wed. They say "light"...I hope so.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those gals are bottomless pits, lol. I've added a separate feeding of alfalfa pellets to their menu and they love 'em. And even more - they inhale them and they're gone in about 17 seconds. Gone - gone!

Been a busy morning already. I castrated a baby pig. He's about 5 days old and I'm glad I got him done now cuz he was... ummmm… pretty well developed for being 5 days old. Usually the equipment at that age is about the size of a peanut....this guy was like a really big cashew, lol. (no wonder they call 'em nuts)

In addition to cutting I did some sticking. Twelve of the does now have their CDT booster. I have one more to do today. That leaves 4 does that have not been vaccinated - yet. Two - maybe three - I'm not sure are pregnant. No belly, no udder development. I'm ok with that - those gals will be on the "gotta go" list.