Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Memories of wonderful baked desserts and sitting in my great grandfather's lap listening to major league ball games on an old mercury battery powered transistor radio.
Those are truly precious memories. Those are the kind of memories I try to build with my grandkids. We will sit around a fire pit on the back porch and tell stories. Their favorite is for one of us to start a story and it passes around until the last person finishes the story. Cooking with them when they were pretty small and now they're great cooks! Snuggling on the sofa and watching movies. Letting them plant seeds in the garden. All season long those crooked rows make me smile! Promising, and keeping that promise, to read them a bedtime story every single night that they stay with me. I hope they treasure those memories as much as I do! Makes me miss 'em right now and worry about them. They're 5 hours away or I'd be squeezing on 'em right now!

better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Absolutely agree!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH took his mom for an eye doc appt today. The office had previously instructed them to call from the parking lot and stay in the car. Then when they were ready to see his mom they called and had them come in. Pretty good system!

IMO that makes a heck of a lot more sense than sitting in a waiting room with a bunch of other sick people and touching various surfaces.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought it was a great idea.

Been busy today. I canned another batch of carrots. These were homegrown and absolutely delicious! I also took a big batch of pork chunks, from the last time I butchered, and ground that up. I looked up a copycat recipe for Owens breakfast sausage and seasoned it per the recipe (with a little extra red pepper flakes). Made a little test batch and, oh man, it is good!

My bathroom re-do is supposed to start tomorrow. But, I've head that before! It actually worked out better for me that they start tomorrow instead of last week when it was planned. I'm just ready for it to be done and finished.

I have a rack of ribs in the oven waiting to be consumed. Need to figure out quick side dish and then chow down.

It rained allll night effectively putting a halt to any gardening for a few days at least. Hopefully, it'll dry quickly and I can get back to it.

Still waiting on goat babies! Ten days or so to go...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been a busy few days. Tile guys have been in my house allll week! It's noisy and dusty in here but the bathroom is going to look awesome!

I'll need to move some does soon. I want to put my FF's up in the small barn so they will be easier to monitor when their time comes. And, it should be coming soon! Woo Hoo

I've got half of my in-ground garden worked up and a couple rows planted. Rain set me back a few days. Hoping I can get the other half tilled up tomorrow or Friday before we get more rain Saturday...:( The raised beds are cranking out pea blossoms right and left. I've pulled radishes and carrots out of there and picked a really nice head of romaine also. I've got plenty of red-leaf lettuce that I can start picking too.

Maybe, just maybe butcher a pig or two this weekend if the rain doesn't appear too soon or last too long. :fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is this where they got the term “piggy back?”

DFAF6083-0B89-40A7-B921-E1F8D8FA8DDD.jpeg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I moved a couple of the FF Kiko/Kinder crosses last night. One of them is progressing faster than the other, but since they're sisters and shadows of each other I kept them together. Still need to move some more....trying to keep an eye on 'em and see if I can predict which ones will go when. They're keeping me on my toes for sure. But it's pretty important that they don't try to deliver in the pasture because I feel pretty sure a pig would love a newborn goat snack.

Got started early this morning. Have already checked on the two FF's I moved and discovered that the pygmies were locked in a different pen all night, lol. They weren't complaining much since they were in the area with the round bale - but there's no water in there because generally nothing lives full-time in that pen. Usually I keep a water bucket in all pens just in case something gets locked in there... Need to get back to that.

Hope to finish planting the first half of the garden. I need to till the other space, but think it might still be too wet. Might do a small test area just to check. If not today - I really need to get it done by tomorrow because it's supposed to start raining Saturday. Hope they're wrong!

Waiting for tile guys to show up this morning. They usually get here around 9am. So much better than them coming at the crack of dawn!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If not for Cowboy last year a pig woulda had a goat snack - as it were the pig had to settle for placenta! That was scary!

How is your husband doing? I bet he is liking you being retired.
DH is doing well. Health is good, eyesight is ok, energy level needs to bet better, lol. Not so sure he's loving having me home- I have "honey-do" lists a mile long, lol!