Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had drizzling days all weekend and will this week. Cloudy, cold, dreary, need to be in the garden! Don’t need to get wet, chilled from the wind and sick! Blah.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Saturday was pretty much a wash out because of the all-day drizzle. Yesterday much better and today should be better yet. I've got a few more seeds popping up. Happy to see that. My honeynut winter squash is up as well as cantaloupes and yellow squash. Weeds are making their presence known also. I need to get back to feed bag mulching. Hope it's dry enough to spend some time doing that.

Need to put some finishing touches on an extra milking stand for the other barn. WE had a granite vanity top delivered in a crate so we have re-purposed it. (the crate, not the vanity top, lol) Yay - it'll make milking in the red barn a lot easier - at least easier when the does are trained. That'll start today.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are way out in front of me on planting. It has been cold here, in the 40's at night and barely getting to 60 in the day...….. for WEEKS! Then today, the clouds and gloom went away, the skies brightened with sunshine and it hit 87 degrees!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was HOT today! The newborn kids were panting. Hot weather and humidity is not kind to freshly birthed lungs.

Garden is coming along, but I'm fighting some germination issues - most likely because I keep trying to plant my older seeds first. I'm going to replant cantaloupe and winter squash - but everything else is doing well.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for your gardens closer to where you might be able to get to them more often for thinning and eating the sprouts, mix the older seeds in with the newer ones. as it is often the case that you are overplanting to begin with so it might help space things out a bit more and the bonus part is that you get to eat the thinnings. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Made a foray into town today. Picked up feed and dog food mostly and a few things for the pantry. There was TP at Walmart - but no paper towels. II didn't need any TP so I left it alone. I would have picked up paper towels if they'd been available. But, I still have some and have finally convinced myself to use dish towels to dry my hands with after washing a gazillion times.

More baby goats this morning! Two gals surprised me and kidded before I could put them in the kidding area. My fault - I checked them last night but not before I went to town this morning. Surprisingly all was well - no baby goats were consumed by pigs even though they were very interested. Cowboy was on guard in the barn with one kidding doe but the other one kidded outside in the pig feeding area. Dumb goat - but by pure luck I got there about the time that baby was born and I snatched her up and moved them to a different area.

I need to mark mama's and baby's so I can keep track. I'm going to use those colored temporary id tags that a lot of folks use for puppies. Too many of these babies look alike and I need a simple way of identifying them at a glance.

I need to get back to gardening before it gets away from me.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I still use paper towels (or napkins if I have extra from somebody's fast food meal) to wipe the extra grease out of my pans before I wash them. I know I could use cloth, if I boiled them on laundry day; but I don't usually have the time for that. If and when paper products become difficult or impossible to get, I'll start boiling my rags.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am still using them for the same thing! I did however, use a lettuce leaf the other day to wipe some grease into a bowl to mix with the dogs food! Worked pretty well, lol.

I'm going to plant corn today. I am going to plant corn today. I am going to! I've spent the last week doing nothing except goating. I need to branch out.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I had/have plenty of TP...almost never use paper towels but, cloth. Enough of the wet wipe, disinfected stuff. And, I have stacks & stacks of napkins -- I bring them home from demos or they are tossed. Smaller sized but no matter.

I'm jealous of that fresh, beautiful lettuce, FEM!!!

YES -- more eggplant!