Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve heard others complain about TSC Feed, especially being old.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got half the garden layered in wood chips before I planted. The other half I had already planted and had mostly mulched with hay. I'll get that next portion covered in chips after it cools down some - maybe November, lol. I really hope it does something to improve the soil and improve drainage...but I suspect it'll take several seasons and several more loads of chips before I see real improvement....sigh.

Holy Cow! That sounds delish! I'm gonna have to try that one for sure.

We've been stuck on a sugar free pudding kick lately. Uses up milk and eggs - and I have an abundance of both.

I suspect you are probably right

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Depends on the soil, home size, and state/local regulations. $30k is on the high side, but my ex-wife sometimes saw numbers near that when she was a realtor.

We had bought a brand new house and the builder did most everything on the cheap. 3 months in, we had leach bed issues, because the lines were trenched in hard pan clay (less than 12 inch wide trenches pipes barely fit and were not properly backfilled). We called around, even using her contacts, the lowest price was $20k to fix the leach field. How it initially passed inspection, i have no clue

that soon it would be actionable here, probably code violations too.

ours was put on our mostly clay subsoil - i don't know what it cost 20something yrs ago but it would surprise me if it got over $4k. i have the paperwork here someplace but i've not gotten into that particular kettle of poo yet. at some point i'll need to figure out the basis of the house (what they spent building it) - but i hope that time doesn't come any time soon.

they put in an extra capacity tank and doubled the leach field size to accomodate the poorer perk rate on he clay. no issues since then, but it does run a little high at times when we get a lot of rain or the ground water table is high.

the main thing is that we never have any subsurface to surface leaks or odors and that it doesn't back up into the house. so far those have not happened. since there are only two people here and we don't have a garbage disposal we don't pump it out a lot. when i moved in here the first thing i got on Mom's case about was that they'd not had it pumped at all yet. yes, it was high and full, but it all worked out ok. the guy who pumped it out must have said something to the contractor who installed it because not long after he stopped in and we talked. all ok as far as i am concerned. i've pumped more frequently since then.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
how are you holding up with the Saharan dust cloud? Has it hit you yet? Are you healthy? Maybe our COVID19 mask habits will help you a little??? :hugs
Ahhh, thanks for asking! :hugs

It's kicking my butt!! I was wearing a paper dust mask outside last week just to feed the animals and check the mail. With a heat index of 105ish it's totally NOT fun. We got a few days off this weekend, but it's supposed to be back here again tomorrow. It's already drying out my eyeballs - I wake up every morning with serious grit in my eyes and started coughing today while shopping in Walmart. Want an aisle to yourself? Cough a few times and people scatter, lol! :lol:

It's supposed to come back tomorrow with a vengeance and last a few days...sigh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I definitely know how to enforce social distancing, lol. One woman looked absolutely panic stricken and turned her basket around and went the other way, lol. I can't say that I blame her though.

I don't have time to get sick!! Last week when it was so bad I really limited outside time. I'll be doing the same for the next few days. I'll get outside while it's cool in the morning and wearing a mask will be tolerable....and again in the evening. Critters are on their own in between!

I don't dare get sick because I'm sure if I went to a doc complaining of coughing and sinus infection like symptoms they'd test me for Covid....and from the people I know that have taken it - I don't want it!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We haven't had enough of it up here to be a problem. But today we start cleaning out the main part of the sheep barn, it is dry in there. We will be wearing our masks! The dust flys when we stir it up, 2 years ago we learned our lesson. We both got sinus infections and felt like crap for 2 months. We make danged sure not to do that again. Horse barn needs cleaning too, but we can just run the tractor down the aisle with the front end bucket and go dump it on the pipeline. All those nice shade trees, but their favorite place to stand and poop is the barn. Sometimes i wonder if they pucker up their butt and run to the barn to unload.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a couple stallions and if you have horses, you know that they have their own "special" place to go. Kinda nice, as it's all in a pile -- unlike most mares who just let it fly whenever/where ever. So one never goes in his stall, always outside. Another, he goes into his run-in...guess he likes privacy! ;)

Look at it this way, BAY.... easier to load and dump with the FEL!
Question -- can you get the tractor into the sheep barn area & load into FEL vice the mule? Seems the unloading would be easier. :idunno
I need to clean a BIG goat barn. All day job. Not fun. :th