Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went shopping yesterday at both Walmart and Kroger. A 3 lb pkg of ground beef was 16.99 at Walmart and $18.99 at Kroger. WHAT THE WHAT???? So, I picked up a chuck roast and will grind it myself. I'm browsing the sales circulars today for what is on sale starting tomorrow. Kroger has briskets going on sale for $1.99 a lb tomorrow. I guess that would grind decently? I refuse to buy a bovine, lol! We don't eat a lot of beef but DH loves him some ground beef. Occasionally we'll cook a nice steak, but we eat more pork and chicken than anything else followed by salmon, and lately every now and then we just go meatless or have an egg dish for dinner.

I might try to bucher another goat in the spring. The last one we had really wasn't good... I dunno why. It was a wether, but it was during rut season and this goat had a definite "twang" to him. I might see if I have a doe to butcher next year but lately my goats are selling like crazy. I actually have people on a waiting list. Three doelings will go this week - so I don't know if I'll have a goat to butcher for myself! Not a bad problem to have I suppose...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i like beef over pork or chicken any time, but i don't really need to eat meat every day. i like beans in many different forms, vegetables...

i think hummus is on the menu this week when i make some. i can eat that quite often.

i was hoping for a bit more from the strawberries, but with recent events i could not get out to pick or even look until this morning and i found all of one berry in there ready to eat and maybe ten green ones on the plants for a few that flowered later. it's getting so hot those are going to cook on the plant before they ripen. i need to give that whole patch a shot of water tomorrow morning.

all the gardens are looking ok or better. lack of rain is going to be an issue this week as it is heading into the 90sF and no rain in any forecast. i can water, but the gardens do so much better with rain than from the well.

sounds like a good time to raise prices on those goats.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i like beans in many different forms, vegetables...
I'm about to can some beans again, hopefully this week. It makes it easy to have beans on the menu any time we want instead of needing to preplan to cook.

Hope you can get your strawberries jump started. I would have gladly sent you some rain last week...and we'll probably be getting some more by the weekend or early next week. Oh yay.

I probably should raise the goat prices. The guy that's coming to get the 3 girls this week already bought 6 goats from me this year. I won't raise his price. He shows up when he says he will and he brings cash. Plus, I like the guy and the goats are going to a good place/situation. I always prefer to sell to folks that I know instead of having strangers showing up at my place.

I'm working on organizing the freezer. I'll need the room when I get those briskets tomorrow for grinding. I need some tubs like @baymule has in her freezer. I don't have any so I need to see what I can come up with. I actually have some produce drawers out of an old refrigerator that I saved to store 'stuff.' I think they might do well in the freezer. Guess I better go dig 'em up!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Meat prices are crazy! I thought of a chuck roast last week but, not at $9 a lb. Nope. Instead, I came home & had a steak from the freezer. Still have plenty meats in there. Probably won't be buying much until prices get back to where they should. Besides -- plenty of chicken to butcher, plenty canned -- turkey, beef, pork & goat in freezer to cook I'm good!

First vegs to freezer from garden today :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't even buy meat anymore. Don't buy much in the way of vegetables either. So how in heck do we go to walmart and spend $181 ?????

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So how in heck do we go to walmart and spend $181 ?????
Heck, all you gotta do is buy toilet paper, paper towels and a few cleaning supplies. That'll eat up every bit of $100!

I have picked up some chicken when I find it for a good price. If I can buy it cheaper than I can raise it - I'll do it. We eat a lot of chicken. I prefer home grown and plan to order some CCX chicks for fall/winter raising. It's hard to raise them in this heat. I'd rather butcher when it's cool/cold too.

Freezer organization and clean out is underway again this morning. I still have two huge bags of ham luncheon meat that I was gifted from the food pantry last summer. It had started to thaw and they weren't allowed to distribute it so.... I got it. I dehydrated and powdered several bags of it. It's nice to see such a large amount of meat fit into a gallon Ziploc bag! I've got two bags to take care of and each bag is about the size of a large brisket. That'll sure help make more room. DH keeps saying to buy another freezer - but nope - not gonna do it. And they're in real short supply right now anyway. I've got the upright freezer in the garage and a side-by-side fridge in the breezeway with freezer area and more freezer space in the house fridge. In fact the house fridge has a "flex" area that can be fridge or freezer. I use that area for produce, but could flip a switch and have even more freezer room. So - no new freezer! My light bill is high enough as it is.

I found some quail that I butchered last year - so that's probably going to be dinner tonight. Yum! I need to get them thawed out and in some type of marinade. I love a honey/soy sauce marinade - but try to stay away from the honey for DH's portion. He likes everything spicy, so maybe something along those lines for his. If I find time today I'd love to make that low carb Lemon Cake recipe that @FarmerJamie posted a couple days ago. Yum!

Ok, this stuff isn't gonna get done with me sitting on my behind.

Happy Wednesday ya'll!

Last edited: