Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, wow!! What a beauty. Is this #3 LGD? Uhmmm....is she a new wife for Cowboy? :D When did you slip her past us ???? o_O

Guess with all the inside time you are on the net more. Hey, it's all good. I really, really like her. I want one.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh heck no - no wife duties for her, lol. She's quite laid back and enjoys the back porch more than she enjoys the pasture so we shall see how she develops. She spends her day in the pasture and nights on the porch. She's really kind and respectful of the stock, but not overly interested. Her breeder retained her thinking she might not make an LGD - but we're going to give it a go. I think she'll be fine with some time.

I have spent more time inside lately because of the dust and the heat and I've got an issue with my hands. Grrrrrr! Can't do much if your hands don't work. I hurt my right hand a couple weeks ago trying to grab a goat. I tried to slip my hand under her collar and only snagged her with one finger while she was running past me. One ring finger cannot control a 100lb goat. The pain went all the way to my elbow with swelling and tingling and some serious hurt. I guess I tried compensating for the pain by using my left hand more and now have both of them giving me issues. Been keeping me up at night and shooting pains and all manner of 'not so good' issues.

Several years ago when I tore a tendon in my foot I was introduced to Kinesiology Tape. Oh my goodness the stuff is amazing. So, as I was sitting with my butt planted in front of the computer yesterday I had a thought (miracle, right?) and decided to try the tape on my hands. I applied it according to the directions for thumb pain. I did my left hand yesterday morning and my right hand at bedtime. Miracle! My left hand has zero swelling and a 95% reduction in pain. The right hand is at least 50% better. Motrin helped - but I really don't like taking any more than I have to so I'm thrilled that this is helping.

Milking is done - need to go finish feeding the others.

Happy Sunday ya'll.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have spent more time inside lately because of the dust and the heat and I've got an issue with my hands. Grrrrrr! Can't do much if your hands don't work. I hurt my right hand a couple weeks ago trying to grab a goat. I tried to slip my hand under her collar and only snagged her with one finger while she was running past me.

Heat has been bad here, also -- well, humidity makes it bad. I've had my hand in a collar when they decided to do a 360 and I was caught! It's pretty bad as you can't get the hand out -- and can't hold them!! I've grabbed a horn to untwist me!! This is when you think pygmy is good. Glad you have found something to help. Yes, hands are pretty important.

Crap -- I was thinking pups! Brindle pups. She's still a beauty.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh heck no - no wife duties for her, lol. She's quite laid back and enjoys the back porch more than she enjoys the pasture so we shall see how she develops. She spends her day in the pasture and nights on the porch. She's really kind and respectful of the stock, but not overly interested. Her breeder retained her thinking she might not make an LGD - but we're going to give it a go. I think she'll be fine with some time.

I have spent more time inside lately because of the dust and the heat and I've got an issue with my hands. Grrrrrr! Can't do much if your hands don't work. I hurt my right hand a couple weeks ago trying to grab a goat. I tried to slip my hand under her collar and only snagged her with one finger while she was running past me. One ring finger cannot control a 100lb goat. The pain went all the way to my elbow with swelling and tingling and some serious hurt. I guess I tried compensating for the pain by using my left hand more and now have both of them giving me issues. Been keeping me up at night and shooting pains and all manner of 'not so good' issues.

Several years ago when I tore a tendon in my foot I was introduced to Kinesiology Tape. Oh my goodness the stuff is amazing. So, as I was sitting with my butt planted in front of the computer yesterday I had a thought (miracle, right?) and decided to try the tape on my hands. I applied it according to the directions for thumb pain. I did my left hand yesterday morning and my right hand at bedtime. Miracle! My left hand has zero swelling and a 95% reduction in pain. The right hand is at least 50% better. Motrin helped - but I really don't like taking any more than I have to so I'm thrilled that this is helping.

Milking is done - need to go finish feeding the others.

Happy Sunday ya'll.

hope you get to feeling better soon.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll!

I've been inside a lot of today. The idea was to do inside jobs, right? I thought I'd get started grinding the briskets I cut up. Grinder was being rebellious....argh! In order to make it work correctly I had to re-cut the brisket pieces into tiny little chunks instead of decent size chunks. I did it for about an hour but had to stop for awhile. I don't think it makes much sense to handle a really sharp knife when you can't feel your fingers. I don't think carrying heavy buckets of feed twice a day helps either. I looked it up - a 5 gallon bucket of corn weighs almost 35 lbs - goat food should weight about the same. So, twice a day I carry 70 lbs out to feed in buckets that just have a metal bail...no padded bucket handles around here. That can't help the hand situation either. I guess I'll have to start putting the feed buckets in the garden cart and rolling it out to feed - like an old person would do. :old That really sucks - but I need these hands to last me a couple more decades....

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll!

I've been inside a lot of today. The idea was to do inside jobs, right? I thought I'd get started grinding the briskets I cut up. Grinder was being rebellious....argh! In order to make it work correctly I had to re-cut the brisket pieces into tiny little chunks instead of decent size chunks. I did it for about an hour but had to stop for awhile. I don't think it makes much sense to handle a really sharp knife when you can't feel your fingers. I don't think carrying heavy buckets of feed twice a day helps either. I looked it up - a 5 gallon bucket of corn weighs almost 35 lbs - goat food should weight about the same. So, twice a day I carry 70 lbs out to feed in buckets that just have a metal bail...no padded bucket handles around here. That can't help the hand situation either. I guess I'll have to start putting the feed buckets in the garden cart and rolling it out to feed - like an old person would do. :old That really sucks - but I need these hands to last me a couple more decades....

the broom handle through the handle trick doesn't work for you? carried two balanced on the shoulders so your hands aren't taking all that weight/damage...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Years ago I saw a cheap fix for the metal handle problem: Take a section of broom handle that is the width of the bucket and saw a couple of slots in the ends. Set it up so the handle's slots slide over the wire bail. As you pick it up by the wooden handle, it slides up the metal bail until the slots fit tightly.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those fingers under a collar and stuck in a halter.......

I thought I’d hold my spotted ass for the farrier one day...... haha, I just HAD to say that! Anyway back to my spotted ass..... he was pretty wild, did NOT like his hooves messed with. They were curled up, he was a pity purchase. So this wonderful farrier was working on some terrible hooves on a jack donkey with a bad attitude. I laced my fingers in his halter to hold him for the farrier. Wrong. Thing. To. Do.

He spun around in circles, I couldn’t let go, I was flat out flying, feet off the ground like an airplane for take off. He reversed directions, that loosened up the death grip the halter had on my hand, and I went flying like a baseball until the ground came up to meet me. I crumpled up in a heap, the donkey stopped whirling around like a carnival ride and looked at me like I was stupid. I sure felt stupid. I tied his spotted ass to a tree!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas!

the broom handle through the handle trick doesn't work for you? carried two balanced on the shoulders so your hands aren't taking all that weight/damage..

Guys must think alike because DH told me to do that - but I'm uncoordinated enough that I'm sure I'd drop it trying to get 70lbs picked up and on my shoulders. And, I'm afraid it would be hard to get through the gate that I barely open (to keep the goats inside) and still duck under the electric wire at the same time, lol. It sure might work well under different circumstances though.

I used the cart today. I can block the gate opening with the cart and the goats can't get out - plus they're a little bit afraid of the big black cart.

Years ago I saw a cheap fix for the metal handle problem: Take a section of broom handle that is the width of the bucket and saw a couple of slots in the ends. Set it up so the handle's slots slide over the wire bail. As you pick it up by the wooden handle, it slides up the metal bail until the slots fit tightly.
That's a cool idea. I must own three or four brooms and not one of 'em (except the big garage broom) has a wooden handle. They're some kinda cheap plastic. But I have an old hoe that lost it's blade...that'd probably work.

Oh dang @baymule - thanks for nearly making me pee my pants, lol! Actually, I'm not wearing pants - I'm freshly showered and rocking the mumu right now, lol! Sounds like your spotted ass had a good time twirling you around. Trees are a lot tougher than people. :)