Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It would be perfect if I could milk every other day, lol. I could probably get by with it for awhile, but....

I'm kind of glad I had kidding's so far apart this year. It'll give the early kidding does a break and time to recover and the late kidders won't be bred this year. I kind of hate that because I figure if I'm feeding 'em, I should be getting some return. Eh, maybe I will breed 'em, but just late. :idunno

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm thinking to dry my does off but, THEN I miss the milk. It's like rain -- you only want it WHEN you want it. :lol: One of my lovely ladies will slack enough to only milk every 36 hrs...about a gal each time. Perfect! Generally, I get one or two down to 1Xdy, then only one in winter. Milking is lovely but, demanding.

we can eat a quart or two of yogurt every few days, and drink a gallon of milk too, and then there is cheeses, so between those things a gallon every other day would be ok with me. i'd not be into milking though, or all the other things that go with keeping animals. we don't have that much room anyways or grazing land and i can imagine what all the wild-animals would get into... eek! no, no, no, i'm quite fine just keeping worms and letting the professionals take care of the animals and the dairy for us... :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
it's supposed to be 100 all next week here. work is going to be hectic for sure.
I can imagine that you are in high demand these days! Hey - how you feeling? Still off da cancer sticks?

Our heat index was like 105 this morning at 8:30. Humidity is so high that time of day. Don't know what's going on right now but we're under 90 right now! I need to get a sweater before I go out and feed or I'll freeze, lol.

Picked some figs this morning. I've been picking some every now and then but we had so much rain last week that the figs were mushy and tasteless. We've dried out and now the figs are yummy. I made a small batch of low-sugar fig preserves with some sugar free strawberry jello. First time I've tried it with the strawberry and I probably won't do that again. Not saying it's not good - but it doesn't taste like figs, lol. I'll make it more traditional next time.

Moved some goats around and found out that with a full udder one of my Kiko gals looks more like a Nubian, lol. Her mama was Nubian so I guess that's not so surprising. I might bring her up and milk her for a couple days - just so she'll be easier to deal with if I decide to milk her for real some day. She's a bottle baby so I figure she'll do pretty well.

Belle's personality is really coming out. She likes coming in for a little while each day. She doesn't stay in very long, but she's funny. She learned to lay down today in about 2 seconds. She really likes boiled eggs. After the first try I couldn't hardly get her to stand back up and when she did she'd flop back down and wait for more egg, lol. Crazy gal. She's a mess!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can imagine that you are in high demand these days! Hey - how you feeling? Still off da cancer sticks?

Our heat index was like 105 this morning at 8:30. Humidity is so high that time of day. Don't know what's going on right now but we're under 90 right now! I need to get a sweater before I go out and feed or I'll freeze, lol.

Picked some figs this morning. I've been picking some every now and then but we had so much rain last week that the figs were mushy and tasteless. We've dried out and now the figs are yummy. I made a small batch of low-sugar fig preserves with some sugar free strawberry jello. First time I've tried it with the strawberry and I probably won't do that again. Not saying it's not good - but it doesn't taste like figs, lol. I'll make it more traditional next time.

Moved some goats around and found out that with a full udder one of my Kiko gals looks more like a Nubian, lol. Her mama was Nubian so I guess that's not so surprising. I might bring her up and milk her for a couple days - just so she'll be easier to deal with if I decide to milk her for real some day. She's a bottle baby so I figure she'll do pretty well.

Belle's personality is really coming out. She likes coming in for a little while each day. She doesn't stay in very long, but she's funny. She learned to lay down today in about 2 seconds. She really likes boiled eggs. After the first try I couldn't hardly get her to stand back up and when she did she'd flop back down and wait for more egg, lol. Crazy gal. She's a mess!

doing well. still not smoking. my wieght loss has stopped....it's hard to get to the gym right now with work, homestead and stuff but im still eating healthy most of the time.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
doing well. still not smoking. my wieght loss has stopped....it's hard to get to the gym right now with work, homestead and stuff but im still eating healthy most of the time.
All those little changes definitely add up. Glad you're doing so well!

Heat index 102 at 8am this morning. That morning humidity is a killer! Weather guy just said heat index today will hit 110 today. Heck our heat index was 112 yesterday. We're going to have real temps of 100+ from Saturday - Tuesday. Sigh...

I still have one lone pregnant doe holding out. I hate that she's going to kid in this heat. It's hard on the baby's too.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're toying with 3digit temps here....the index will get there next couple days. POOR DOE!!! Yikes. Ok, where's her AC???

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
POOR DOE!!! Yikes.
I know... :( I have been known to bring newborn's into the house during the worst of the heat. Their poor little lungs have a heard time with all the humidity. We shall see how it goes.

Another little blip in the joy of home ownership today. Was loading the dishwasher after breakfast and scraping plates and all that fun stuff. Turned on the disposal...and nuttin'. Nuttin' at all....just pure silence. They were right when they said silence is golden. As in that silence is gonna cost me some gold! :rolleyes:

Speaking of money (sigh) I wonder how high my electric bill is gonna be? This is the kind of heat we’ve been dealing with for awhile now. Top right is actual outside temp and the big number in the bottom middle is the heat index.
4BD81BB1-A85F-4ED7-A7F2-02C4F2D1138A.jpeg

Last edited: