Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I checked out Misfit Market first - thanks to your posting about them. They weren't available in my area, but Imperfect Foods is. That's about what I noticed too - the orange bell peppers were smallish, but in great shape. We had them last night. I also got 2 pkgs of Bunashimeji mushrooms. Had some of them in an omelette this morning. So good! I want to make some mushroom soup out of the rest of them. We love mushrooms and since most mushrooms have really healthy qualities it's a great time to indulge.
We checked out options here. So little options of stuff my wife can eat. :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got to choose my goodies for the next Imperfect Foods box today. It seems like they had more options today than they did last week. I'm still excited about it!

I don't now what happened, but a couple weeks ago I lost my mind and ordered some baby chickens. They'll be here tomorrow. OH joy, lol. Ok, here's what happened... Some weeks back Belle and Beau got a chicken...bad dogs. That was while Belle was still living in the backyard with Beau. Time passed, we got Raine, and Belle moved out to the pasture. DH caught Belle half-heartedly chasing a chicken in the pasture and he rained hell and damnation down on her. Fast forward a couple weeks later I was feeding and didn't see ANY of the pasture chickens. Hmmmmm. Next day, I didn't see any of the pasture chickens either. So, I figured that Belle had killed and eaten about a dozen chickens somehow without me ever seeing or smelling a dead bird. Under those circumstances it makes sense to order some chicks huh? However, I was mis-informed. A few days ago I fed a later than normal...at dusk. What did I find...? All my pasture chickens were there in full view and reach of Belle and she was totally ignoring them. What I learned is that my pasture chickens that have ALWAYS stayed around the barn had been disappearing in to the deep dark recesses of the pasture during the daylight hours and only coming back to the barn at night. Sigh....

In other news, I got pig belly outta the freezer a couple weeks ago and started the process for making bacon. It's sat long enough now and it's ready to be cool smoked. Soooo, I go out to get the old' trusty smoker ready and when I was cleaning out old ashes....she died. Poor old grille...the bottom fell right outta her, lol. DAMMIT! But, now I'm the owner of a brand new smoker griller thingy. DH started the 'seasoning' process today. Have to do it twice so tomorrow he'll repeat it. Then - maybe - I can smoke the bacon. Would a been a lot cheaper to just buy bacon instead of buying a smoker, lol.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Enjoy the chicks! :lol: :lol:

You know, I saw a rally NICE electric smoker at Habitat for $115. But, I don't even eat THAT much bacon. Didn't buy -- but it sure smelled good when you opened it. One day I'll fire up the smoker grill my son has here.......😃 If I an find the bacon slabs in that free. They were so lean, I might just cook them in the oven and enjoy a meal.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok. I hate the auto correct on this pad!!!!!
It happens, lol!

I tend to use voice text on my phone a lot. Stupid phone doesn't understand my Texas accent, lol. Good thing I generally use it with my DD because there have been some epic fails that I wouldn't want any one else to see! :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Puppies, puppies, puppies! Oh my gosh they are so cute and fun, but they double my work load! Week or so ago I put cardboard down in the raised beds. Good plan, right? Puppies thought so. They got through the fence and decided it would be fun to dig through and shred as much cardboard as possible. They had so much fun I couldn't even be mad at them. So, I patched the fence and put down more cardboard. It wasn't quite so fun when they got through the fence AGAIN and hopped up into my big blue planting tubs and loved the he(( out of digging beautiful holes in the soft, pretty dirt. So, take two on the fence repair. (It was just a thrown up patchwork kind of fence that worked great to keep Gracie out - but not so much these little munchkins that can fit through tiny holes.)

I hauled up a big cart full of barn gold to go into the first bed. Got that done and spread the cardboard back on the bed. So far - so good. But, I swear if they breech the fence again - it's not gonna be pretty and the puppies will be having a pity party of epic proportions!

But seriously - how can you be mad at this! (he barely fits on his pillow anymore and doesn't mind sleeping at a downhill angle)
7F790441-F8F7-4B16-AE59-382DB8EA56E1.jpeg

Or this face- decorated with a piece of rice on her nose:
42FBF588-F342-4CB5-9EEC-012ECECAD775.jpeg