Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to clean up the garden, getting an early start. I don't take out the tomato vines until a killing frost and they dry out and are dead, dead, dead. I break out terribly from contact with the vines. I suit up in gloves and long sleeves just to go pick tomatoes, not pulling on live vines!

I think I will try to hold off planting seeds. Normally I have the fever and start seeds in January.....by planting time, I've managed to kill half, another half at transplanting, then they struggle to survive. I need to WAIT! Planting the end of February for some things and March for others would probably give me better survival rates.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ewwww - can't imagine being allergic or sensitive to tomato vines. I'm known for walking past them making sure to nudge them a little just so I can get that tomato scent! That's usually about all I get out of my tomato plants ... :( Dang bugs. I'm going to try and combat that this year with a screen room or some sort of physical barrier.

Raine has an appt with the vet tomorrow for her rabies shot. I worked with her last week on getting into the truck and she did fine. Unlike Beau who was terrible when it was his turn a month or so ago. So, when I called to get Raine's apt I asked if it would be ok to bring Beau too just for the experience and they said it was ok. Figured I better work with them again so I put them both on leashes and took 'em to the truck, opened the door and they both tried to high-tail it outta there lol. At least until I brought out the treats. I put one on the floor of the back seat area and Beau couldn't climb up in there fast enough! So darn proud of him! He's generally a wuss about new stuff but he's highly food motivated lol. I crawled up in there with him and Raine followed. We had a little party in the back seat for a few minutes with ear rubs and treats then we got out and did it all over again. They couldn't get back in there fast enough. That time I shut the door on 'em and crawled into the driver seat. We went for a nice drive up and down the driveway and they were awesome. Went to get them out and told them both to wait while I opened the door and they did - then hopped out when asked. I'm so stinkin' proud of them both!

Then they had a lesson on walking with a coupler. It's so much easier to hold one leash with both dogs attached. They both were a little excited and wanted to pull a bit - but they're getting the hang of it. We'll do some more later today and in the morning before we go. Love this breed - they're so compliant.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went to Walmart today for the first time in a while. I expected to see bare shelves but we were pretty well stocked to the gills. The only thing that was a bit depleted was paper products...but I still had no trouble getting PT and TP. Paper plates were down, but I expect that's as much from T'Giving as any other reason. I even snagged a case of quart jars. They had several cases of both pints and quarts, but I didn't see extra lids....really didn't look though as I have enough. I MUST stop stocking up - I have enough.

Had to go back to the feed store because they shorted me two bags Monday. That's what I get for not paying attention and counting as they load. However, I've been going to this feed mill for several years now and this is the first time there's ever been an issue. They're pretty darn good.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hard to control habits. I stock for every winter as it's my slow work season and not a fan of store trips in cold weather. Like stocking hay! 😁 honestly, no more heavy buying than usual with bargains.

My TSC has has some issues with the consistency of feed. Like cracked corn more like ground?! Not happy. But last buy at a different TSC had no issues. ??? Different mill?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Different mill?
This is a really good place and much cheaper than TSC. In our little town TSC stands for Trash, S??t and Cruddy, lol. They don't keep the same feed consistently and it's not always fresh...and like you said, the quality can vary from batch to batch.

Latest posts