Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grandson's 14th b'day! Crazy that he was just born the other day and now he's 14 and just two years from driving. Wow - where does the time go?

I've been inspired by @tortoise and Boi. Worked with Beau today on "pick it up." He's a natural. Mostly because he's a mouthy puppy, lol.

Looked back in some of my notes trying to decide when I'll have the first babies next year. First possible are in Feb. I had a young buckling that was with at least some of the does in Sept. Not sure how many of them he could reach but several of the shorter does are beginning to show bellies that might indicate that he was successful. Or, they could just be fat, lol.

DH had a dentist appointment today for two fillings. He survived. :) He whined but he made it through. I told him that only after he'd walked a mile along my dental path was he allowed to whine.

Great weather recently with several more cool fronts headed down our way. Not "cold" like some of ya'll are having, but I'm ok with that!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've been inspired by @tortoise and Boi. Worked with Beau today on "pick it up." He's a natural. Mostly because he's a mouthy puppy, lol.
🤣 I started Boi's training thread because I was so impressed by what you had written about your LGDs working! I would love to see threads on how you and @Baymale train LGD. Its something I have no experience with and find fascinating.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At least (most) LGD's are pre-programmed to do what they do....all they usually need is a little tweaking!

@baymule has a couple of threads on BYH about her dogs.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, well, well....dogs! My neighbors have a really cute Beagle. Said Beagle is not fenced and is allowed out to roam. She generally stays either at her house or my house. While she is roaming, anything is fair game for her. She's "stolen" packages off my porch - dang porch pirate. She's taken tow straps, and has even hopped up into my truck where she was almost locked in during the summer. Argh....

Tonight I was going out to feed the critters and had some Benadryl for Cowboy who is fighting a hot spot. I had two 5mg. tablets smushed up inside a chicken fat flavored rice/egg ball. Sounds yummy! I set the bowl on the bumper of my truck and turned my back to get the goat feed out of the feed trailer. I turned back around to find that cute little beagle licking her chops and the bowl that had previously held the meds on the ground. Beagle is maybe 20lbs and 50mg of Benadryl was at least twice the dose for a dog her size.

I didn't have my phone in my pocket so I finished feeding - less than 10 minutes - and came inside to get my phone and call the neighbors. They had left to go to their daughter's volleyball game - argh. I recounted what happened and told 'em I really didn't want their dog to have a negative reaction or die. They said don't worry about it... but guess they thought better of it and called me right back. They told me where the extra key was and I went and got the little thief and gave her a dose of Peroxide. Few minutes later the offending tablet(s) (and everything else she'd eaten) was on the ground. I dug around through it and found at least one pill so I considered it a success. Even if she kept down one pill it wouldn't be an "overdose" at that point.
Dang beagle is now in my backyard in a kennel until her people come home. I didn't want to put her back in their house while there's still a chance she could puke some more. She's not very happy with me! The moral of this story - don't be a thief! Other moral - dogs should stay home!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dang beagle is now in my backyard in a kennel until her people come home. I didn't want to put her back in their house while there's still a chance she could puke some more. She's not very happy with me! The moral of this story - don't be a thief! Other moral - get a fence for your dog!

if more of the "visits" ended up with her barfing and in a crate that might begin to deter the wandering and stealing... poor pup!

Mom dislikes dogs and if she had a gun she'd shoot them on sight she is that bad about them. :( i am ok with them and want them to go back to where they belong, but i won't do anything to them other than make a noise to startle them and then tell them to go home.

they do not belong on our property at all, but we don't have a fence all around so they can come in from a few sides. we are fairly far away from most places around us so the dogs that do wander in are likely from a few neighbors who let them roam at times. i do not encourage them to visit (knowing how bad Mom reacts to them), but if i were here by myself i wouldn't mind at all as long as they weren't doing any damage to the gardens (digging up things or taking fences down or getting in the trash - which has happened once so far in 20something years so not a common problem so far :) *whew!*)...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do hope it's a negative memory for her! I forgot that she got a couple of eggs the other day that were in a bucket that I left on the ground. I think she thinks we're all one big happy family and she should enjoy a meal and grace us with her presence every time she's out lol. Good fences make good neighbors or something like that.. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that brings to mind the song Egg Sucking Dog by Johnny Cash. :) we have some hazards around that i wouldn't really want any animal roaming through here without supervision. things called "Glass Garden" and "Rust Garden" give hints as to what they might be...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've heard of people blowing out the inside of an egg and filling it with something nasty tasting to discourage that behavior - but I've never tried it. Generally we just share lol. But this little gal needs to be careful of she might actually get into something even more harmful than a couple of Benadryl. Other neighbors aren't dog lovers...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One thing I insisted on was a fence all the way around our property, complete with a 16' foot gate at the front, deep offset for truck and trailer. My object was to keep ours IN and everyone else's OUT. The prevailing attitude in the country seems to be, let the dogs be "free". A free dog is a nuisance to neighbors and gets hit by cars. I consider those such people to be irresponsible.

🤣 I started Boi's training thread because I was so impressed by what you had written about your LGDs working! I would love to see threads on how you and @Baymale train LGD. Its something I have no experience with and find fascinating.

FEM thoughtfully posted links for you to keep up with my adventures with 2 of my dogs. It's an ongoing project. Trip, our male Great Pyrenees is 6 years old and you would thing he is "trained" by now. He derails every now and then, most notably when he killed and ate my muscovy ducks, THEN lunged and snarled at me when I got close. There was a handy 4' long pine branch laying on the ground, so I snatched it up and beat the crap out of him for that. He finally broke and ran and I chased him. I gave away the last duck, Trip won. Sigh. Then was the recent slaughter of the guineas. At first Trip told me about the sins of the others, finally, as the carnage continued, he joined in. The day I caught him twice, eating a guinea, I lost it. I trashed him, he spent 3 weeks on lock down where I made it a point to go in and ignore him every day. LOL LOL The last 2 surviving guineas were finally captured and given to a neighbor.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH and I are working, albeit slowly, on a new chicken tractor. I've got those 20 pullets in the brooder in the garage and they're getting a bit crowded in there. My old chicken tractor has bit the dust (wooden frame rotted) and can't be resurrected so I'm scrapping it and re-using the wire. We're just using some hog panels that I'll line with smaller wire so they can't get through. A couple pieces of metal roofing over the top and I'll call it workable. Not great, not pretty - but workable, lol.

I'd hoped we'd get further on it, but we didn't finish it today. :( I'm attaching the smaller wire to the panel with zip ties and my fingers complain about doing fine motor skill work like that...sigh. I think we can finish it tomorrow. What took even longer was salvaging the wire from the OTHER tractor. Geeze, what was I thinking by putting that many staples in that wire? Pulling them out was no fun at all. But I'm determined to use pretty much all salvaged material so that's the way it goes. I need to find more wire...this tractor is much bigger than the old one so there's not enough wire.

Oh, I may or may not have ordered a small batch of Cornish X...