Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WE put a pork butt in the smoker this morning. I really love this new smoker. It has an app that allows you to control the temp of the fire from your phone. DH just changed it from his computer chair lol. You can also monitor the internal temp of the meat. It is the coolest thing! And it smells sooooo good! Did I mention I love the smoker?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Two words: YUM YUM!
0E906910-6CB5-4A94-ADE8-AEF6397C2A6F.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A friend gave me this recipe, it's good, dunno know about all the sweet for your wonderful husband, maybe you can modify it. Maybe shred some of the pork and try just a little.

Slow Cooker Jalapeno Pineapple Pork

Ingredients
6 pound pork shoulder roast
1 yellow onion , diced
2 jalapenos , 1 sliced thinly for garnish and one diced
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 pineapple , peeled, cored and cut into 1" chunks
1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley for topping

Instructions
In a small bowl add the yellow onion, diced jalapeno, soy sauce, brown sugar and pineapple chunks and stir to combine.
Put the pork in the slow cooker, fat cap side up.
Pour over the pineapple-jalapeno mixture.
Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.

If you'd like to reserve the liquids at the end remove the pork and pineapple pieces then drain the liquid into a glass measuring cup.
Let the fat settle to the top and spoon it off or let it chill in a refrigerator and then just scrape it off the top.
If you'd like this pork to taste like crispy carnitas you can crisp it up in a pan with a spoonful of the fat on medium high heat, or just spread it onto a sheet pan and put under the broiler for 45-60 seconds.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Sounds delicious to me - but DH would divorce me if I put pineapple in it! He absolutely refuses to mix fruit and meat. One of the very few "hard and fast" food rules he has. But, he LOVES carnitas!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks! Sounds delicious to me - but DH would divorce me if I put pineapple in it! He absolutely refuses to mix fruit and meat. One of the very few "hard and fast" food rules he has. But, he LOVES carnitas!

so, no tomatoes in chili? j/k... heehee... there's too many jokes wrapped up in that so disregard this if you don't find it funny - one joke is about Texans and Chili, another is reference to New Mexican Red Chili which sees no tomatoes at all and well, another is about tomatoes not being a fruit at all, or not... depending upon who you listen to...

ahem. sorry, rambly mood this morning... :) my brain is either a fruit or a vegetable... or both...