Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have never been stung by a hornet. I have been stung by yellow jackets and it wasn't any fun. I am more of a live and let live, but sometimes having a nest near can be a dangerous situation.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hornets suck!

I had some kind of bee-type nest in my fig tree some years ago. I thought they didn't sting - I was wrong. I had to kill that nest because I was picking figs every day!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Never really had any hornet issues, but me and yellow jackets go way back. Lol. No issues burning them out of their ground nests

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Never really had any hornet issues, but me and yellow jackets go way back. Lol. No issues burning them out of their ground nests

the raccoons get them here. the most common place i'll see them other than flying about or trying to get a nest going on the house is in raccoon poops.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen a racoon on premises for decades - since I've had the dogs. Occasionally we'll see a possum....they must be pretty dumb. Let me clarify - occasionally we see a dead possum. Gracie used to consider them a great prize to leave on the back porch for me.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's cold, it's wet, it's muddy, and it's still raining! Totally normal for here. :rant It will definitely be an inside day. Thinking about canning a batch of potatoes. We don't eat a lot of potatoes but I do occasionally include a small amount in stews or soup. My kiddos and grands all love potatoes so they definitely will be consumed.

My neighbors had company yesterday afternoon into evening. Their company brought their dog to play in the country. A good sized mutt that delighted in running the fence line and daring Cowboy to come over the fence and kill him. I swear! When I told them the electric fence is off (dead battery) they decided to keep their dog controlled. But, for hours, and hours, and hours there was hell and havoc going on out there. Cowboy was displeased and voiced his opinion constantly. The little dogs too....well mostly Raine. She seems to be the self-appointed back-yard guardian. Beau is just chill. He checks things out and then lets it go. I love him, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why do people think it is ok for their dogs to run up and down the fence, making our dogs outraged? Those morons would not have amused if Cowboy jumped the fence and put the chomp on their precious dog.

People here go walking or riding their bike, and take their dog. Ok, dogs enjoy that too. BUT they let their dogs run up to MY fence, torment MY dogs and do nothing. Today, we were working on the front gate and a car comes by, real slow with the back window down. A small dog appeared in the window, barking at our dogs. WTH???? I told BJ THAT'S what the dogs are barking at when we look out the window and see nothing but a car going by. REALLY? REALLY? They have to DRIVE their durned dogs over to bark at our dogs? :he

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Worst part of it is that we would probably be liable for their dog's injuries (or death) if Cowboy would have gone over the fence and killed the yappy little son of a gun. Sigh... Hopefully, they figured out that it wasn't a good idea.

Been a totally icky day all day long. I understand that a lot of Texas got snow. Bay got snow - my DD got snow - we didn't get snow. We got more rain...more slop...more mud. Oh well - life goes on and gotta deal with it anyway.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well you know what snow does to us.........we are idiots we cannot drive on the stuff. There are no snow plows, no equipment. All the schools are closed tomorrow in all the surrounding counties, even as far south as Polk county. Anywhere there is snow, it is white LAVA! it destroys tires, don't drive on it!!!! We sensibly will not get on the roads in order to be hit by some stupid speed demon.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
one nice thing about being retired and having enough stocked up things on hand. don't have to go out if we don't want. if it takes a few days to dig out after a storm that's just fine with us. only one day a week Mom has to go out so that is the only schedule we're really on, oh, and now we've started back up with monthly massages so that's going to be something to deal with this winter we've not had to do for a while.