Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've got a few options for a train trip. Thinking about up the east coast to see the fall colors next year. It's a ways off and lots of things to consider.

I got a round bale moved today. Meant to move some goats - but nope - only moved a bale. The goats appreciated it though.

Since DH had the leg procedure he hasn't been going out to feed. He generally only feeds the LGD's so I offered to do that, along with the rest of the critters, if he'd cook dinner. I realize I was taking my life in my own hands by having him cook, lol. But, we've been getting a meal box delivered with all the fixings and all the ingredients measured out for you. Literally all you have to do is cook it. I told him that if he can read and follow directions he can cook. He did it - and it was good!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son in law cooks, cleans AND does laundry. My daughter was only 19, wasn't planning on getting married so young, but I told her if she let him get away, she'd never find another one like him. That girl has it made! She does the household chores too, but he is fully capable of doing it all.

They get those meals in a box too, it sure does simplify things when they are both working at warp speed and have things piled up on them.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My son in law cooks, cleans AND does laundry. My daughter was only 19, wasn't planning on getting married so young, but I told her if she let him get away, she'd never find another one like him. That girl has it made! She does the household chores too, but he is fully capable of doing it all.

They get those meals in a box too, it sure does simplify things when they are both working at warp speed and have things piled up on them.
My mom insisted I would be capable of cooking and cleaning. She did not want any future wife to be my maid. My BIL always said I would make someone a good wife some day....when he found out I was a better cook than my sister (food always bland and dried out).

I made sure my son could cook, too. :)

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay! Nothing matter than a man who cooks! (except maybe a man who cleans?) :love
He does that too! (and does his own laundry) It's always been that I cook and he cleans up after me. I'm ok with that! The meal in a box cooking generally only requires one pan or one baking dish. I started it because it's simple. Several nights a week I don't have to think about what to cook. This plan offers quite a few low-carb options so that helps too. Might drop it after our introductory offer is over with. Or, most likely switch to a different company with another good introductory offer. Kind of like playing credit card roulette switching from one to the other to make sure we never pay interest, lol.

My son also cooks and does laundry. They use a meal plan because they previously ate out most of the time. This has helped them with healthier eating and for them it's less expensive than going out every night. Win-win!

Back when I first retired we had decided that at least once a month we'd take a day trip. Covid happened and our day trips didn't. I think we're going to try that again. We'll take turns picking a destination. I have a feeling there are a lot of museums in my future, lol. But, if it gets him on his feet and moving it'll be worth it.

Lingered over my coffee this morning. I need to get outside and move a doe before it gets hotter. She's been in the front barnyard so I could milk her. She had a late baby this year and I've not weaned her baby. Makes it easy to milk on my schedule and not be tied down to milking every day.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My DH didn't cook or clean. But he hired a maid and took us to dinner several nights a week, after work. 😁

I've used the "keep one nursing" several times! Sure helps when working and time is short. Right now I have a doe in milk that I'm not sure kidded this yr...it isn't colostrum, never was. ??? She could be pregnant :idunno I have a dozen white ones! Most I can tell apart. Ever had one come in milk, unbred? Some bucks can....hormonal?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had to look this up while still on my mind -- ya know how memory fails! -- and seems several farms have these precocious milkers. Hormonal, lush grasses, family inheritance. So, maybe I'm not imagining....as I have all that!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have not had a precocious milker. But my neighbor had a pygmy buck that actually produced milk! I wouldn't have wanted to partake of that stinky milk. Most unusual to see a buck with danglies AND an udder, lol.

Geeze, you might not even need to keep a buck if your does will lactate without being bred, lol. Of course there might be a shortage of babies. But, gee whiz, if they can learn to milk without being bred - maybe eventually they can learn to kid without a buck? :lol:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be nice!! No breeding and milk. Several of mine will milk close to 18 months if I keep using them, then dry and breed.

This Nubian buck I have never got an udder but, his teats filled and elongated. Both he and these Saanens are from heavy milk lines, so hormonally and genetically inclined.

THis doe has a really nice udder! It's full enough that she looses milk sometimes when laying down. Not a "maybe she's filling" thing. I'm thinking I'll start milking her. What the heck. Can't feel kid movement...and I do have stored colostrum as well as first week milk, in case. I'm just amazed. I've had a few that start a little bag at a few months, goes away....not before I had the oh no...she got bred moment. This one is a long yearling, full grown.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spent a couple of days doing goat maintenance. Got some worming done yesterday and copper bolus-ed some today. Always something.

DH is cooking AGAIN! This time he's not using a meal kit. Who is this man? LOL We've both been feeling pretty bored and a bit stagnant lately so I think this may be his new hobby. If he takes cooking away from me what am I gonna do? I'll figure something out...

He's got another leg procedure Thursday. This one will be a bit more extensive than the first. I'll have to drive him because he'll get some pain meds for it. I would guess that he won't want to cook for a couple days after that so I'll get it back. Wooo Hoo!

Had a big, loud thunder/lightening storm before sunrise this morning. Dropped a bit over an inch. Just what we needed, lol. (as if)

Latest posts