Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like hot and sour soup - but I've never tried making it. Might have to change that.

you can adapt recipes and my suggestion is that any recipe that calls for black pepper to use crushed red pepper instead or any other pepper as that flavor is so much better to me. good eats. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader - You're right, butter freezes beautifully, but I'm curious about other storage options. I've always wanted to try ghee - but I didn't know it was stable without refrigeration or canning. Gonna give it a shot.
I usually leave one pint out in my cupboard and put the other 2 in the freezer. It could still go rancid.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have a canner full of pork going now. Potatoes were all good except the one pint that I forgot to put a ring on....geeze! Made a sammich out of the browned pork scraps. But, I've got more and I'm still cutting meat. Might get to soup eventually.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Canned all day and ended up with 10 qts of pork, 3 qts of potatoes, and 8 pints of potatoes. Didn't even get to ghee making. I have another pork shoulder left in the fridge but think I'll freeze it for smoking. Also have 10 lbs of potatoes left, but will probably can them soon. I need to can some beans also. Somewhere in there I'll tackle the butter that I bought. Gotta try ghee making!

Up too late watching the stupid Astros game.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Up too late reading studies- Again! Am I surprised? No. Does Ghee tast different than usual butter? That could also be a decision maker.