Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I made a decision. A decision based on gathering zero chicken eggs for over a month now. It really ticked me off to have to buy store bought eggs for Thanksgiving deviled eggs. I decided to browse Ideal Poultry for a chicken breed that wasn't like all other chicken breeds. I didn't find any, lol. Sooooo, I went to Ebay and started looking at the "rare breed" hatching eggs. Biiiig mistake.

I don't even like to buy shipped in hatching eggs.... track record isn't all that great. But, I kinda, sorta thought it might be fun to put in a little bid on what are usually very expensive hatching eggs. This breed sells for $99 per unsexed chick from Greenfire farms. Would I ever pay that much for a chicken - heck to the no! However, I did manage to win an auction on 18 eggs for a mere $20. Deathlayers! They are "supposed" to be really awesome layers. IF I can get a couple eggs to hatch I might just find out.

And then - well - who wants to run an incubator that's only half full? I looked for some eye-candy chickens and found them in the form of Chocolate Laced Orpingtons. Got a few of those eggs headed my way also.

I don't mind raising chicks this time of year. Generally, by the late spring/early summer my winter chicks will start laying. Fingers crossed for a decent hatch! :fl

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I made a decision. A decision based on gathering zero chicken eggs for over a month now. It really ticked me off to have to buy store bought eggs for Thanksgiving deviled eggs. I decided to browse Ideal Poultry for a chicken breed that wasn't like all other chicken breeds. I didn't find any, lol. Sooooo, I went to Ebay and started looking at the "rare breed" hatching eggs. Biiiig mistake.

I don't even like to buy shipped in hatching eggs.... track record isn't all that great. But, I kinda, sorta thought it might be fun to put in a little bid on what are usually very expensive hatching eggs. This breed sells for $99 per unsexed chick from Greenfire farms. Would I ever pay that much for a chicken - heck to the no! However, I did manage to win an auction on 18 eggs for a mere $20. Deathlayers! They are "supposed" to be really awesome layers. IF I can get a couple eggs to hatch I might just find out.

And then - well - who wants to run an incubator that's only half full? I looked for some eye-candy chickens and found them in the form of Chocolate Laced Orpingtons. Got a few of those eggs headed my way also.

I don't mind raising chicks this time of year. Generally, by the late spring/early summer my winter chicks will start laying. Fingers crossed for a decent hatch! :fl
this is awesome. I do not have any desire to hatch chicks but this TOTALLY sounds like something I would do. :love:pop

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
but this TOTALLY sounds like something I would do.
I admit - sometimes I just can't help myself, lol. An auction is kinda like a contest ya know? And, much to my detriment there are times when my competitive nature rears its head and not always at an opportune time, lol!

I want to hatch chicks because my kids love the process, but I don’t want to keep chickens 🤣
Hatch 'em and sell 'em!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess all one has to do in order to get more eggs from current chickens is to threaten to replace them with new hatching eggs. Went out today and found not just one - but two eggs. Guess the molt is over!

A lot of my hens now look alike. I've got several Ameraucana's and a couple Wellsummers that seriously resemble each other. The rest of them are Black Orpingtons. Besides a couple of Silver Laced Wyandottes I am seriously short of chicken eye candy. IF I get a decent hatch that particular problems should be over.

Several of the does are getting pretty nice bellies. Next month I'll be doing CDT shots. Time really flies - seems just the other day that Frankie was frolicking with the girls.

DH is doing a little more every day. Tomorrow we're going to try and get flu shots somewhere. Several places in town are doing them so we shouldn't have a problem. I promised him that if he was a big boy we might even try to have lunch out somewhere, lol.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most of my hens look "brand new" but a couple are still scrappy from molt. I haven't gotten more than one egg a day in quite a while. :( I see combs getting red so, soon.
The one is more than I need. 😁 But customers are sad.

CDT reminder, thanks. Have 1 bottle but will need to get more soon. I honestly don't know when kids are due. :th Some are looking pretty full.....can't all be a hay belly.

Have a great lunch! Enjoy the treat.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Deathlayers! What are those?
I have no chickens now. But when I do buy another place, I want White Plymouth Rocks and for some unknown reason, Jubilee Orpingtons.

I have some big bellied ewes bagging up. 2 look ready to pop.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This:
23a90d_1d487f5d5f4243cf996ed22cbbc4a4e6~mv2.webp

Image credit to Star Hill Farm.

"Deathlayers aka Westfalische Totleger is an ancient German breed of chicken. A translation of its German name Totleger, means "death layer". This stunning breed is said to lay eggs until the day it dies! The history of this breed goes back more than 400 years. Their population has declined drastically over the centuries."

I don't honestly expect them to lay an egg every day from the day they start laying - but they are supposed to be great layers. And, I think they're cool!

Jubilee Orpingtons are really pretty. I also ordered hatching eggs from Chocolate Laced Orpingtons.

DSC_0979.jpg

Picture from Lockwood Feather Farm.

Eye candy!!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
both
This:
23a90d_1d487f5d5f4243cf996ed22cbbc4a4e6~mv2.webp

Image credit to Star Hill Farm.

"Deathlayers aka Westfalische Totleger is an ancient German breed of chicken. A translation of its German name Totleger, means "death layer". This stunning breed is said to lay eggs until the day it dies! The history of this breed goes back more than 400 years. Their population has declined drastically over the centuries."

I don't honestly expect them to lay an egg every day from the day they start laying - but they are supposed to be great layers. And, I think they're cool!

Jubilee Orpingtons are really pretty. I also ordered hatching eggs from Chocolate Laced Orpingtons.

DSC_0979.jpg

Picture from Lockwood Feather Farm.

Eye candy!!
both are beautiful!