Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What’s that make? 4 or 5 does kidded? Congratulations!

I wish lambs were that friendly to the dogs, but they aren’t. I can see why people are so passionate about their goats. Goats have a lot of personality. That kid sprawled out on Cowboy is a wall hanger. Frame it!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My ram Ringo, LOVES Sheba and she LOVES him! They are so funny together! In this picture, Sheba was laying down and Ringo came and nuzzled her. He will also rumble and swing his big head at her and Sentry. Sheba sometimes gnaws on his head, RAAWWLLing and ROOOOing at him. They are hilarious!

EFA43CBF-04B8-4CB2-9434-A95149A1E4E2.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! I think they see one doe kid and decide it's a good idea, pop them out! Most I ever had all go same day was 6....that was a busy day! Not even sure when mine start or how many. I was really lame with all of it this year. Too many hours at work.

Bellies are filling, not udders yet. So I'm good for another month, maybe. 😁 there's the long yearlings FFs who may surprise.

Congrats on the new kids. Thanks for cowboy pics! Love that guy.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Actually, only 3 kiddings so far, lol. It just seems like more. Next kidding(s): today possibly, tomorrow probably. Thankfully, no overnights so far. My does typically kid during daylight hours. Doesn't stop me from checking on them after dark and before sunrise though.

Yep, @baymule is correct. For milking I pick a doe that has a baby I want to retain, and we share milk with that baby. When I need milk, I pen the baby overnight and I milk. When I don't - the baby gets it all. So much easier than being forced to milk to keep the mama producing.

I've got 6 babies on the ground right now and I like one of them enough to possibly make her a keeper....so far. I've got at least two mamas on the "gotta go" list. Might just try to sell them and their babies as a package deal. I'll give it a couple weeks to be sure all is well and then list 'em.

Cowboy is in his element. This morning I opened gates to kidding pens and he didn't think they were all ready to explore the wide-open spaces so he placed himself in the doorway and got quite comfortable, lol. I had to convince him to move out of the way.

Fun times with the Myotonics this morning. They are spending their quarantine time in the trailer. When I went to feed them they were waiting right at the door for me and when I opened it - they both fell right out....and fainted! I feel so bad for them when that happens, but I'm kinda glad they did because it was pretty easy to scoop 'em back up and put them back in the trailer. Any other goat would've headed for the hills!

Off to build new hay racks for the kidding pens. Always something...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Fun times with the Myotonics this morning. They are spending their quarantine time in the trailer. When I went to feed them they were waiting right at the door for me and when I opened it - they both fell right out....and fainted! I feel so bad for them when that happens, but I'm kinda glad they did because it was pretty easy to scoop 'em back up and put them back in the trailer. Any other goat would've headed for the hills!
This sounds appealing. I might spring for myotonics if we replace our 2 pasture pet wethers when they pass away.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Actually, only 3 kiddings so far, lol. It just seems like more. Next kidding(s): today possibly, tomorrow probably. Thankfully, no overnights so far. My does typically kid during daylight hours. Doesn't stop me from checking on them after dark and before sunrise though.

Yep, @baymule is correct. For milking I pick a doe that has a baby I want to retain, and we share milk with that baby. When I need milk, I pen the baby overnight and I milk. When I don't - the baby gets it all. So much easier than being forced to milk to keep the mama producing.

I've got 6 babies on the ground right now and I like one of them enough to possibly make her a keeper....so far. I've got at least two mamas on the "gotta go" list. Might just try to sell them and their babies as a package deal. I'll give it a couple weeks to be sure all is well and then list 'em.

Cowboy is in his element. This morning I opened gates to kidding pens and he didn't think they were all ready to explore the wide-open spaces so he placed himself in the doorway and got quite comfortable, lol. I had to convince him to move out of the way.

Off to build new hay racks for the kidding pens. Always something...

all you need is a catcher mitt for them! not even having to chase a little. how you going to get a workout? :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
all you need is a catcher mitt for them! not even having to chase a little. how you going to get a workout? :)
I don't know who was more surprised when they fell out - me or them!

I've got plenty of other goats to chase, lol. Yesterday I did 3.9 miles going back and forth checking on everybody and scrounging materials for building another kidding pen. This morning I have a couple of hay racks built. I use the term "built" loosely - these are created from welded wire fencing. Simple, light weight, and moveable. Still have a couple to go. The things I do for these goats, lol!