Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - catch only. I just came in with 3 more samples! Yay - they were stubborn and slow but they stayed in the barn and wondered why I was following them around. I wanted a contribution from several of the yearlings and I was successful. Two tested positive and one is either open or it's too early. Test works best after 40 days bred so it's possible she's bred but just not producing enough hormones yet. I want to get the bucks out of the does pens by the end of this month....but I also want all the does bred soooo hope she's not planning on screwing things up.

I put the baggie into the cup so that as soon as I collect their sample I can seal the baggie, set it someplace safe, and reload for the next one. Takes some patience but what else do I have to do on a rainy day? I propped myself up against a hay rack and read a little on the Kindle app. Except for being absolutely cold and miserable it wasn't bad at all, lol!

Need something warm in my belly!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is why DH and I do blood tests! Much easier.
Some of my older, calmer does I can pull blood on by myself. But these yearlings are greatly offended if I even try to make them stand still - much less stick a needle in them, lol!

This way isn't terrible, it's just time consuming. But, heck, I'm retired and I like spending time in the barn.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
cup on a stick!?!?!?!?!???

I have a plastic (will be disposed of soon enough) cup taped to the end of about a 4 foot piece of PVC pipe. My goats, for whatever reason, think they're entitled to a bit of space when they potty. So, I stand back and wait for them to pop a squat and ease that cup under their stream and get my sample. Today I had to go under one goat to catch the pee of another. I'm getting really good at this, lol!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
20221119_204322.jpg

Latest posts