Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thaks @farmerjan! I was thrilled to get these guys off the feed bill. You wouldn't think little ones could eat so much, but they get creep fed and they get the good stuff, lol. Lactating moms need the quality stuff too so I'll appreciate the difference that 15 less mouths makes.

I'll start deciding between the doelings soon - and the adult does. I'd like to move some of the older does on. The Nubian's days are numbered. They've served their purpose here and they can go to someone who needs good family milkers.

@Mini Horses - yep, milking starts for real tomorrow. I'd like to keep the Nubians in milk, but I'd also like them to regain some condition before I offer them for sale. That's a fine line to walk and not always how it goes, lol. We shall see. It's either sell them now before they get older or keep them forever, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would love an outlet for milk sales. I need to brush up on the state regs. I think they've recently started allowing herd shares. Dogs had some clabbered milk a couple days ago - they were overjoyed, lol. They demand their own herd share, lol.

Have a couple of FF's to work into the milking order. Might be a fun day.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Iā€™ve seen goat milk dyed blue with food coloring (that doesnā€™t hurt milk at all) sold for ā€œanimalā€ consumption only, on Craigslist before. I guess once you get a trusted customer, you can skip the food coloring.

My feed bill just keeps climbing. I need lambs to sell! But Iā€™m keeping ewe lambs back, 3 so far, to build the flock. Then next year Iā€™ll have more lambs to sell! 2 ewes due in April, possibly 3 more, registered ewes bred to Ringo, my old ram I had to put down. Crossing fingers on those! See? More lambs to KEEP, not SELL!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
are those the ones that may need a kickstand or two to stay upright?
Maybe....! Nah - hopefully they'll be not too terrible. I try to handle their udders when they first deliver their kids. Seems to help them understand.

The feed bill! I went from a herd of 19 to 43 in just a couple weeks. Nursing mamas and 24 kids being creep fed. Argh! Down 15 goats in 2 days should help.

I was really proud of how my LGD's handled buyers being around the last couple of days. The first buyers were a young couple with young children. Dogs weren't crazy about them being around, but they weren't aggressive at all. In fact, Missy just kind of slunk off into a corner of the barn - watchful - but not aggressive.

Yesterday's buyer was a man. Totally different story. They barked and charged the fence when he approached. I reassured them and put them in a different area. They still weren't happy and charged the fence in that pen too. They weren't happy that I was handing off goats across the fence. I think crying mama's and crying babies didn't help. When I went to a different area to grab some roosters that he was buying, he started to come into the pasture. Really, really BAD idea! He backed away pretty quickly! Good dogs!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In VA we can't sell for human use -- except on herd shares, which "cops" do not pursue -- and pet or craft ok. Suppose to add tag saying for that use. The sales help with feed and make our obsession seem valid šŸ¤£

I'm with ya on herd growth, Bay. Need to sell, want to grow and sometimes less expensive to grow out but, not always! The expense is a little more "spread out" though. Plus sometimes bloodlines come into play. I will jump on a "deal" when it happensšŸ˜