Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Didn't find it on realmilk - but farmandranchfreedom.org says that herdshares have been approved in TX. Seems like a real PIA though. Some years ago I had a customer that bought milk for her pets - regularly. I sold it then for $8 a gallon.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Herd shares can be a PIA. on flip, can guarantee a buyer income 😁sorta. Also commits YOU. A toss up. My take -- label for pet/craft use -- buyer own a pet, please. 🤣🤣

I'm good with my current customers and no "issues". 👍 I could only deal with maybe 2 more. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - I don't foresee herd shares in my future. Dogs love it clabbered, chickens love it too. I see lots of cheese in my future and the neighbors will enjoy it too. This might be the year I try my hand at soap making too. Always wanted to try it - just waiting for the right time.

If I come across someone needing pet/soap milk - BONUS!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Was playing with the little doelings today and made a discovery - a not so good kind of discovery. One of them has a severely undershot jaw. Doesn't bode well for her even though I picked her out at birth as a keeper. She can do fine in a dry lot situation. She has no problem nursing, eating hay or scarfing up grain. She would, however, have problem in a grazing situation. No way she can bite off grass with bottom teeth that don't match up with the hard palette. Tiny little chance that it may become a tiny bit better with growth - but doubt it'll be enough to matter. I've had her mom for quite a few years and this is the only time this has happened with one of her kids. First year using this buck, but no problems with his other kids. I won't make that cross again - just in case. I'm disappointed. Future doesn't look bright for her. :(

In the good news department - Purple Dove beans are popping up! I still get excited lol. Scaling back a little bit on the garden this year. I'll still plant okra and some of that yummy golden zucchini. Already have some potatoes in tubs sprouting up. Tomatoes and peppers are high on the "hope" list. That's about it. Just too much going on and with DH still sidelined I need to give myself a break. I've got onions, garlic and carrots about ready to harvest. Still picking sugar snaps every other day or so. Sauteed some with fresh carrot the other day - oh my! Best peas and carrots ever - so fresh and delicious!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sorry to hear about the doeling... :(

glad to hear the beans are up. one thing for sure with those PD's is that they do sprout and grow well even if the seeds are not that large. the plants seem to nodulate well too which helps in many poorer soils if the right bacteria are present.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
disappointed. Future doesn't look bright for her. :(
🤔keep watch for a couple months, it may resolve as these youngsters take growth spurts. You can always sell later if not. As to the cross -- may never produce such again but, I understand. Just a thought as you obviously liked all else about her.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
🤔keep watch for a couple months, it may resolve as these youngsters take growth spurts. You can always sell later if not. As to the cross -- may never produce such again but, I understand. Just a thought as you obviously liked all else about her.

hope so!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
keep watch for a couple months, it may resolve as these youngsters take growth spurts.
Definitely watching!

Amazingly I saw that little gal graze yesterday and she was biting, or tearing off, some really tough grass. Not sure how she did it, but she did. I'll definitely watch her for awhile. It can be a Nubian thing with their big roman noses and occasionally they can grow into it. Occasionally... Other than that she's an awesome little doe.

I'm milking daily now. I wanted to extend the lactation for a couple of the does whose babies moved off early. I'm not loving milking three girls right now but my neighbors are, lol. Shared a gallon with them Sunday. Their son loves it! Neeeeeed to make some cheese which means I either have to order some more cultures or find the ones I ordered last year. Or make a cheese that doesn't require 'em. Probably make a batch of yogurt tonight. Looking forward to that, love the goat milk yogurt. It's not real thick, but it IS real delicious!

Not sure why I decided to do housework today, but since I did I better stick to it. Ugh...