Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a difference another inch of rain makes.

This is yesterday morning. This was pic 3 yesterday:

pond3.jpg

This morning after raining all day yesterday.

pond4.jpg

Still need lots more rain and no more in the forecast until the weekend. That's ok - it gives me time to get the gravel in there. I think I'll spread a tarp from the top of the pond down to the spawning shelves and just pour the gravel down the tarp.

After that - I'll very likely run some hoses out there and start adding well water. Need fish! Fish need water!

I'm excited - this is going to happen!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m excited for you! You have a fabulous pond!

ETA, my ponds are going from a puddle to not full, but sure looking better.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i really would not run the well to fill the pond. it's a lot of energy and you may not really accomplish much other than cycling water from the pond to the well and back again. on top of that you may put a lot of wear on the well pump in the process...

IMO give it some more time and hope for more rains. also what you've gotten in rains already may take some more time to perk in there.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The plan is to stock the pond this fall. Need water to do that, lol. The cost for running the well overnight a couple of times will be minimal. Heck, I forget and leave it running often enough to know that, lol.

Checked the grass growth again this morning. Definitely did not go to the top of mud mountain though! Walked around the edges and see grass popping up everywhere. I've thought about taking some Bermuda sprigs from other places and sticking them in the mud. Not sure that it would take off this time of year though. Might try that in the spring.

DH had blood drawn this morning for the upcoming surgery on Friday. Ready to get it done and over and hope that his hand heals well and works better for him.

Looks like I might have a doe due in December. Back in July, when DD was still in the hospital I came home and found all the bucks out. Wrote down the date and it seems that she might have been the target of that escape. If so, she'd be due Dec. 10.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After pond inspection this morning I'm pleased to announce that there's GREEN on top of mud mountain, and on the sides, and on the flat area around the hole in the ground. The rye grass has taken off after all the rain.

Sunshine today. Looks like a good day to go fishing. Too wet to do much else so...... 🎣

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
hope his surgery does what it is supposed to do and he heals up without complications.
Thanks! It's a pretty simple surgery for nerve entrapment in his forearm and hand. It'll be done laparoscopically with two little punctures. One near his elbow and the other on his wrist. At least that's what is planned - always the possibility that there'll need to be a "real" incision but even if so - it will only be a couple inches long. Right hand first - possibly do the left hand later.

Possible more rain in the forecast for Sun/Mon. Yay!

Oh - mud mountain is definitely turning green!!