Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been busy today. I got a wild hair the other day to re-do my breezeway. It's had dozens of different lives in all the years I've lived here. Now it's NO longer going to be a dog room. I kicked them out. This all stemmed from finding a dog hair in my silverware drawer a couple of days ago! Ewwwwww! They don't even come in the house except on a very rare occasion, but I tend to carry their hair in the house when I walk through that room. I can't tolerate it anymore. So, dog crates are now on the back porch and the princesses are quite annoyed with me. Especially since there is rain (and thunder) in the forecast. Oh well...suck it up Buttercup(s)!

Ordered some benches with storage under them, so I assembled one yesterday and another today. Have several other storage units ordered - and a new rug. In addition to being the dog room, it has doubled as a pantry. My small kitchen appliances are out there as well as cabinets full of food stores. I'm totally enjoying this project, but still have a long way to go. I may invest in new shelving as well. I have a mish-mash of different storage units and I'd love for it to have less of a hodge-podge look.

Haven't decided what's for dinner....maybe a couple glasses of red. :idunno

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you ever taken goats to auction? You get better prices on the farm, but sometimes you just gotta load them up and go. I took 6 sheep last week. I got better than I expected but prices were down. If they gotta go, they gotta go. Just about all the auctions here are cattle auctions. Goats and sheep are sold before the cattle and it’s not real impressive but it beats feeding them. I currently have 30 lambs, will sell all I can off the farm, take rest to auction. I’m thinking Waco, it’s a real sheep and goat auction, not an afterthought. I’ll have enough to make the trip worthwhile. I have 15 ram lambs, I don’t see selling all of them on the farm. LOL. Plus going to do some culling of a couple of ewes, gonna keep 10 ewe lambs, sell the rest, 5 right now.

You might want to explore that option.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you ever taken goats to auction?
You would think there would be an auction near me. There is nothing around or I would. Years ago we had one in town and not only was it a place to move things it was a social gathering place too. Another one that was about an hour away shut down during Covid. I called them about a year ago and they were planning to start back up and would announce it on Facebook. Still waiting - don't think it's gonna happen.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got a few more things done today. Kitchen clean-up. Dining room table back to a dining room table after being used as a platform for putting shelving units together. Won't last long because I'll be putting another shelving unit together tomorrow.

Ordered a new rug for breezeway. That'll make it official that the dogs are kicked out. Can't have a brand-new rug collecting dog hair, lol. They hate me now. Gotta say that I do feel guilty about it. I need to come up with a solution so that I won't feel guilty and they won't hate me anymore.

Ran a couple canning loads through the Presto today. Did some lima beans and a couple jars of pinto beans just to fill the canner. Then did the last load of the potatoes. Twenty pounds of potatoes will last us forever!

Laundry happened today too. Doesn't laundry happen every day? Ugh

Gorgeous day today. Woke up to mid-fifties. Yesterday at wake-up was 70. Stayed in the 60's all day with some winds. Lots of sunshine made hit all ok.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m not real sure exactly where you are, but there is a cattle auction in Navasota that has a decent sheep and goat auction before the cattle sale. They run it live on FB. You might watch it and decide if it’s worth going to.

I took 6 sheep to the Nacogdoches cattle sale last Thursday and got better than I expected. With all the lambs I have now, what I don’t sell off the farm, Im thinking about going to Waco. It’s 3 hours away, but their market report is an actual sheep and goat sale, broken down into weight groups and graded #1 and #2.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Navasota is 2 hours from here - Nacogdoches more than 3. I'm not that ambitious, lol.

The Waco sale looks promising. But, it's around 4 hours. The prices they're getting for- 40-60lb kids looks pretty good. I'd be ok with prices like that but would have to deduct gas and auction fees.

I figure they'll eventually sell...eventually. I'll be sending a text to a guy who buys baby boys from me almost every year. It might be too late in the year for him, but I'll get in touch with him anyway in a couple weeks. He will generally take all the boys I've got. If not, lotsa goat meat on the menu here!

Latest posts