Extra Easy, Extra Cheap, Cinnamon Cake
1-1/2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon cinammon
1/2-cup vegetable oil
1-cup reconstituted milk (or regular)
Since this cake uses vegetable oil instead of shortening, it's very easy to prepare. Without eggs it's extra cheap too. Great cake for the day before payday.
In a medium-sized bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir with a whisk until the salt and leavening are well distributed. Add the vegetable oil and milk. Beat with your handy dandy whisk until smooth. It will only take a few vigorous strokes. Turn the batter into a well oiled 8 or 9-inch square pan, or a 7 by 11-inch pan. Bake at 350 for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched lightly with your finger.
Allow the cake to cook and cut into 12 pieces. If desired frost with Mock Cream Cheese-Vinegar Frosting. It's cheap too and the flavors blend perfectly.
Mock Cream Cheese--Vinegar Frosting
1/4 cup butter flavored shortening (or butter, or plain shortening)
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh water (can use milk)
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. I use a rubber spatula or sturdy fork to avoid clumps. Mix until smooth and thick.
2. If the frosting is too thick then thin it by adding 1/4-teaspoon of water at a time, until it's the consistency your prefer.
Notes
1. This frosting is easy to prepare and has a pleasant tangy flavor. If you prefer your frosting to be tarter then use 1-1/2 tablespoons of both vinegar and water.
2. I feel this frosting is best on spicy cakes like gingerbread, carrot cake, cinnamon cake, spice cake, apple-spice cake etc. It makes an interesting contrast to chocolate cake and might be worth trying if you like unusual combinations. Makes enough to frost the top of an 8 or 9-inch cake. Double the recipe to have enough for a layer cake.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got this "recipe" from my BFF's mom nearly 50 years ago. I used it frequently during some lean times. Kids liked it.
Tuna Pizza
Mix one can of tuna, one can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, and about half a soup can of milk. Lay as many slices of bread as you can fit on a cookie sheet. Spread the tuna/soup mixture on the bread. Brown in 375 oven till bubbly.