Garden Chickens

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have a center aisle, so I'm thinking to make a little tractor that fits in the aisle and I can roll or drag along, and a tunnel for each side to go down the rows or aisles, depending on where I need them.

I think the tunnels will need to be modular, since they would be about 30' long and need to be lifted over crops. 8 foot sections seems feasible.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hmmm, I might need to leave some tunnels in place, such as between wheat rows. I wouldn't be able to lift them out without damaging plants. I also couldn't cultivate the space between the rows without damaging plants. Non-portable tunnels would be easier to construct.

Drill hole in end of 2x2s. Arch chicken wire to make a tunnel, hold the sides down with 2x2s, pin the 2x2s in place with rebar.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm just going to fence out the large fowl and let the silkies have free reign in the garden after the plants are well up. They aren't anywhere near as destructive as the big birds. At least mine are good. Probably because they are bearded and have big crests so they can't see well.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm just going to fence out the large fowl and let the silkies have free reign in the garden after the plants are well up. They aren't anywhere near as destructive as the big birds. At least mine are good. Probably because they are bearded and have big crests so they can't see well.
I'm thinking of just using Silkies in the garden too. I will still want eggs from my Barred Rock girls.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read a snip somewhere yrs back about a lady reporting garden chickens were great except when young plants OR tomatoes ripened! She painted some rocks red and put them out...says once chickens got nothing pecking them they left red blobs alone, then she rarely lost any tomatoes. 😁