Garden Chickens

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read a snip somewhere yrs back about a lady reporting garden chickens were great except when young plants OR tomatoes ripened! She painted some rocks red and put them out...says once chickens got nothing pecking them they left red blobs alone, then she rarely lost any tomatoes. 😁

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I read a snip somewhere yrs back about a lady reporting garden chickens were great except when young plants OR tomatoes ripened! She painted some rocks red and put them out...says once chickens got nothing pecking them they left red blobs alone, then she rarely lost any tomatoes. 😁
I'll have to paint strawberry rocks too!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm just going to fence out the large fowl and let the silkies have free reign in the garden after the plants are well up. They aren't anywhere near as destructive as the big birds. At least mine are good. Probably because they are bearded and have big crests so they can't see well.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I did something similar, made a bunch of 2ft x 8ft rectangular frames with 2x4's, put chicken wire on them. Using some stakes and baler twine, I basically had "chicken panels" that I could configure as I wanted to create tunnels to boxed off areas. I did use sections as a "roof".

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures and hopefully this makes sense.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have a center aisle, so I'm thinking to make a little tractor that fits in the aisle and I can roll or drag along, and a tunnel for each side to go down the rows or aisles, depending on where I need them.

I think the tunnels will need to be modular, since they would be about 30' long and need to be lifted over crops. 8 foot sections seems feasible.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm just going to fence out the large fowl and let the silkies have free reign in the garden after the plants are well up. They aren't anywhere near as destructive as the big birds. At least mine are good. Probably because they are bearded and have big crests so they can't see well.
I'm thinking of just using Silkies in the garden too. I will still want eggs from my Barred Rock girls.

Latest posts