garden plans for 2012

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, as the snow begins to fly and we plan to reinforce our hoop house today so that it will withstand the ravages of the coming winter, my thoughts turn to golden happy memories of my bare toes on the sun-warmed soil as I ate peas right out of the pod while I worked in the garden last summer. I love gardening, watching the week by week growth of plants started from seed to the point that they provide food for my family--there is great satisfaction in this for me, and my season here is so short that I personally have to really plan ahead to ensure success, and milk the season for all that it's worth.

1) How big is your garden area? Traditional garden rows / raised beds / pots or containers / combo? Is your garden on your property or do you have a community garden plot (or a combo of both)?

This year we did a combo of containers and raised beds. We planted tomatoes and peppers in 8 really big pots on our deck, potatoes in a cardboard box (actually worked ok but we didn't plant that many--it was just an experiment), plus we planted a variety of veggies (carrots, radishes, beets, cukes, Romaine, butterhead lettuce, tomatoes, peas, green and wax beans) in our 3 2'x8' raised beds in our back yard.

We also put in two apple trees that actually bore quite a bit of fruit the first year in (yay!) and raspberry canes, although none fruited the first year.

2) What are your gardening goals? Fresh eating during the season to supplement groceries / preservation for the rest of the year through: canning / freezing / dehydrating / root cellaring or other cold storage?

This year was our first year since moving house to have an actual garden beyond the big pots on the deck, so we were just going for "getting back in the saddle".

We ate most of it fresh, still have carrots and beets in storage (damp sand in 5 gallon buckets in a cold room in our basement) and canned the tons of tomatoes we grew (although we also ate plenty fresh with our other salad crops). We ate the large apples from one tree fresh (off the tree, as it only produced about 20 apples and with four people in our family, each of us eating an apple a day, they didn't last long!) and made apple sauce out of the 3" apples off the other tree (5 quarts).

3) Did you have pest problems in 2011 and how did you deal with them?

Late-August we found that every plant and tree in our back yard was infested with tiny black flies that wouldn't shake off. A friend told me they were a type of aphid, but I'm skeptical since every aphid I've ever seen was green. I hosed them off best as I could, but they didn't seem to do any damage?

4) Did you have plant disease problems in 2011 and how did you deal with them / how do you plan to deal with any aftermath in the coming years?

None this year, touch wood!

5) What is one thing you want to improve about your garden in 2012?

Next year we want to double the raised beds and preserve more, and put in more raspberry canes (at our old house we had enough raspberry canes to freeze enough for jam, smoothies, and waffle/pancake toppings to take us to the next season) while still supplementing our fresh eating. We would put a couple more apple trees into the front yard, but we have deer and I think they'd be temped by sweet treats just hanging in the trees at eye level so we'll be researching how to keep the deer away but up our apple production.

6) What specific challenges do you face where you garden and do you have any questions that perhaps someone here can help you with? (This can be anything--water availability, slope, shade, soil, weather etc.)

We live at altitude (3500') in the rain shadow of the Rockies so it is very arid here. We have long (6 months plus) winters, can get frost/snow in any month of the year, and our growing season is considered "short".

We also have heavy clay soil, so brought in a yard of compost to improve our garden area (and will add more each year, some from our own compost and some purchased).

Finally we have deer that impact our ability to expand edibles into the front yard, and we have jackrabbits and squirrels who like to nibbled on things and generally wreak havoc, so we hoop chicken wire over the garden beds to keep them and the birds out.

No questions from me at the moment, we've worked out when to start seeds indoors under fluorescent lights and how to protect our plants when frost/critters threaten etc. but I'll be sure to ask anything that comes up now that we've got this fab new Gardening category!

7) What is one triumph of your 2011 garden year? (Plant varieties that did super well / a new technique you tried that really paid off / just the fact that you did something new or even began a garden for the first time (yay!) / ways to extend your season / you got some member/s of your family on board for the first time etc.)

Valmaine lettuce--bolt resistant, we had lovely heads right through the hottest part of summer and to the end of August! Wonderful variety, excellent taste, I'm totally buying seeds for this variety again.

We also had a total bumper crop of carrots and tomatoes, for which we are still very thankful as we are going to be eating carrots for another couple of months at least, and the canned tomatoes will take us to next summer :)

Finally, our new hoop house that we built really helped us extend our season (till the slugs got in because we didn't put sharp play sand around everything in the garden, only the lettuces. It should help us get things out into the garden up to a month earlier than usual, especially if we also do row covers/cloches, and we'll know better for next year to put sand around ALL the plants!

Tell us about your garden!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
1) How big is your garden area? Traditional garden rows / raised beds / pots or containers / combo? Is your garden on your property or do you have a community garden plot (or a combo of both)?

We have a 100 by 50 traditional row garden, with another plot for herbs. I plan to grow a few things in pots like garlic. Ours is on the property.

2) What are your gardening goals? Fresh eating during the season to supplement groceries / preservation for the rest of the year through: canning / freezing / dehydrating / root cellaring or other cold storage?

We plan to eat fresh during the season, preserve enough to satisfy our needs year around through canning, cold storage, and dehydrating.

Yes, the potato beetle, this year we will be growing our potatoes and tomatoes under plastic to aid in keeping them away. Also we have a friend with a recipe to deter them from the plants. We also had horn worms late in the season

4) Did you have plant disease problems in 2011 and how did you deal with them / how do you plan to deal with any aftermath in the coming years?

Part of our tomatoes got the blight, that was the bunch we didnt treat. The blight can be detered by planting your tomato plants with dry milk and compost mix.

Next year we want to double the raised beds and preserve more, and put in more raspberry canes (at our old house we had enough raspberry canes to freeze enough for jam, smoothies, and waffle/pancake toppings to take us to the next season) while still supplementing our fresh eating. We would put a couple more apple trees into the front yard, but we have deer and I think they'd be temped by sweet treats just hanging in the trees at eye level so we'll be researching how to keep the deer away but up our apple production.

6) What specific challenges do you face where you garden and do you have any questions that perhaps someone here can help you with? (This can be anything--water availability, slope, shade, soil, weather etc.)

We are having trouble growing potatoes. We cant do any good with them but we have a new startegy this year. We have them under plastic with rotting hay and ash. Does that sound good for them? And we plan to get them out MUCH earlier than last year and to get them from a different source.

I also plan to boost soil fertility with manure, I have been already but we havent got much manure. We get the cow in April and hopefully next Fall we will have enough to help the garden in combination with the chicken and rabbit manure.
7) What is one triumph of your 2011 garden year? (Plant varieties that did super well / a new technique you tried that really paid off / just the fact that you did something new or even began a garden for the first time (yay!) / ways to extend your season / you got some member/s of your family on board for the first time etc.)

We grew corn and sunflowers for the chickens and rabbits, didnt do as well I thought but was worth it. But I wont be doing it next year.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score

We had traditional garden rows this year and then potatoes, blueberries, strawberries, in containers, then fruit trees at various family homes we gathered from as well as neighbors. I scavenged unwanted fruits, nuts, and greens and turnips :p

Going to try to jump from feeding a family of 3 for the year, to feeding a family of 6 for a year. I plan on having enough tomatoes again to last us through the year. I have dehydrated several bushels this year and lost count after 3 or 4 bushels :hu It should last till next season although this is what we eat the most of every year. We like Italian and Mexican foods ALOT and tomato is almost always in there somewhere so we need LOTS. I'm also going to attempt to grow feed for the animals again. My efforts this past year were fruitless for the most part :/ We got enough squash and okra to kill a moose. STILL eating on it and probably will be until mid season next year. Peppers did really well too.

Corn died TWICE due to untimely heat waves with little rain so there went the animal feed. We did however manage to get from a neighbor enough to last us for the year since we don't really eat much corn anyway. Theirs did really well because they planted a month later than we did.

Squash bugs were a but difficult to manage this year, but we picked them off and extended the health of the plants until we had too much squash to keep up with, then we let them have it until we pulled the plants.

I want more green beans next year, and more tomatoes. I also think the potatoes could have done alot better and will focus more on those next year, as well as paying attention to the onions and lettuce. We also plan on having a small greenhouse by the beginning of next season so we should be able to extend our already long growing season.

We're in a valley so that can make it difficult. We plant on the slope though so it stays drier. Our biggest problem is weather. We get lots of Spring showers but then usually hit a heat wave that dries everything out so bad you have to water daily and even at that some plants still manage to get scorched to death. You never can predict Tennessee weather worth a darn, and that is ALWAYS a challenge around here.

I have gotten family and neighbors on board for next year, and we are planning a network of community gardens on our porperties and a sharing program. I'll be providing manure as will another neighbor, then we will all plant/cultivate/harvest from each others gardens throughout the year. Some will specialize in low growing veggies like squash, melons, and cukes and some of us will be planting taller crops like corn, okra, beans, and tomatoes. We will share the bounty and the losses. If there are specific plants we want, we are responsible for planting them ourselves. Our family likes peppers, others don't, so we will be planting our own peppers and maybe a few other things. Now...we'll see if everyone is still game come planting time :lol:

I also plan on selling started plants this year to the community and at the local flea market. We'll see how that goes. :) Lotsa PLANS! I hope most of them if not all of them come to fruition. Everybody likes a good idea until it's time to work :p Best part of it though is it wasn't even MY idea, but a few neighbors got to talking about my garden and wanted to know if I would be interested in helping them and adding to the space I could grow things on. I just figure it's worth a shot.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Larger food garden: about 30x100 ft. Smaller food garden: about 25x25 ft. Also about 40x1.5 ft strip for basil and peppers, around the foundation of our deck. And a very small isolated area for grapes. Plus a small (8x12 ft) greenhouse. Our decorative-garden areas are separate, and fairly extensive. Majority of garden areas we plant as rows. Some areas planted as beds. We do all our gardening on our own place.

2) What are your gardening goals?

Fresh food for two adults plus visiting family and friends. Plus give-aways of excess. Preserving produce by canning, freezing, and drying.

A bear got over our fence several times and ate ripening corn, squash, and ripening apples. Was getting in in the wee hours of morning, apparently, and getting out before we woke up and started out day. Once we realized what was happening, we picked and processed our corn (froze the blanched kernals), ate fresh corn; picked pears and apples and invited neighbors to pick; picked the remaining squash.

Late blight got our potatoes and tomatoes for the first time ever (also devestated more than one nearby organic farm). Changing climatic conditions. I'm still researching organic methods to deal with it. This year's tomato varieties were supposedly blight resistant. There are several routes to go with management. We'll be selecting blight-resistant potato varieties. We've also have had clubroot in cabbage family plants for several years (causes small heads in broccoli, cauliflower, small leaves in kale). I've got increasing info on management - plus have learned of a safe bacterial product that is used by organic farmers to devour 80% of the soil-borne mold that causes clubroot.

Dealing with the aforementioned disease problems.

Changing weather patterns promoting disease. I'd like advice from anybody who has brought their tomato or potato crops back after a year of heavy blight damage!

Found a short-season corn variety ("Hooker's Sweet Corn") that does well even with coolish nights! We had cool-night summers in 2010 and 2011 - but in 2010 we were planting a hybrid variety that had previously worked for us, but with coolish nights would not mature ears. Hooray for the new corn variety!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that, we plan to have an onion and carrott bed next year as well. Then we plan to get blackberries next year, we just set out a patch a few weeks ago. Then we have strawberry plants ordered and Id like to try and do rhubarb.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have to start a garden from scratch next year. We just moved to a new place this spring and spent all sumer renovating, so the outside work didn't realy get far. I do however have a fuly fenced space that I am planning on putting raised beds in come spring. I also have to buy a couple of apple trees, and maybe turn part of my chicken coop into a greenhouse enclosure. But for now it is winter and I am busy obsessing on quilts!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Seems like not too many people planning 2012 gardens, yet.:hu
I'm not too surprised, as winter is just settling in for some of us--and a far away dream for people in the south.

I just wanted a place to talk about plans and dreams, and possibly get advice/commiserate about problems encountered :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
moolie said:
Joel_BC said:
Seems like not too many people planning 2012 gardens, yet.:hu
I'm not too surprised, as winter is just settling in for some of us--and a far away dream for people in the south.

I just wanted a place to talk about plans and dreams, and possibly get advice/commiserate about problems encountered :)
:lol: I'm already getting seeds together :p I'm anxious! Besides, I can plant a few things in just a couple more months here :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't imagine being able to plant that early, but I'd be excited too :)

We have just under a foot of snow on the ground as of this past weekend and it's hard to visualize where the new garden beds will be added, but I try. I'm excited to expand and have already drawn up some plans so I can play around with where to put everything. Working on the hoop house over the weekend got me excited because we'll be able to get things outside a month or so earlier than usual as well!