Garlic

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i've planted garlic here the day before the ground froze and it did ok. it does depend upon what type of garlic you have and such, but if the garlic otherwise will do ok in your area and soils it should be ok. it may not be optimal, but i think it will be ok.

p.s. green garlic is an easy crop.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted a little garlic a week or so ago - guess I need to check on it eventually and see if it's sprouted. How long does it take?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have planted garlic in December, in frozen ground using a pick to whack out a hole to drop the clove in and then stomping the frozen soil chunk back over it. Brutal I know, but it grew just fine and I got a good harvest. I don't recommend this method, but sometimes if you procrastinate long enough you turn into a mad scientist.

hahaha! i can see it! :) nice swing! :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've tried and tried and tired to get garlic to grow. I've been disappointed everytime. We get way to much rain and I don't want to put in raised beds. But look, here is Mr. Green Thumb @Chic Rustler growing garlic in raised beds in the middle of winter somewhere in Texas.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This thread is fantastic. I ordered native Inchelium garlic to plant this fall. It should arrive any day! 🙌
Wondering if you have seen any green from your garlic yet? I had forgotten that I planted a few in a raised bed off the deck and was going to turn it yesterday, and I found them. They have about 2 inches of green coming out the top but haven't pushed through the soil yet.

Anyone--what do you do with garlic scapes? I had gotten some from the CSA last year and pickled them but haven't used any yet. AND do all garlic plants get them and when do you harvest? I planted a hard neck variety (again from the CSA)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wondering if you have seen any green from your garlic yet? I had forgotten that I planted a few in a raised bed off the deck and was going to turn it yesterday, and I found them. They have about 2 inches of green coming out the top but haven't pushed through the soil yet.

Anyone--what do you do with garlic scapes? I had gotten some from the CSA last year and pickled them but haven't used any yet. AND do all garlic plants get them and when do you harvest? I planted a hard neck variety (again from the CSA)

it's out there. we had a cold enough winter that there wasn't much green up top at any time. sometimes we get a mild winter and the green will stay and grow even under the snow.

only hardneck garlic gets scapes - a lot of the garlic sold at the store is not hardneck garlic.

i don't do anything with them other than cut them off before the bulbules start falling around and growing more plants that i don't need. i keep them just in case anyone wants to start a big crop. scapes are edible like the rest of the green plant through until it starts getting too hard to be tender (for the variety i grow that's about early to mid June). when i harvest green garlic i usually wait until it gets growing well and then from that point until a few weeks before harvest it will be either a straight stalk or a bulb. i treat it like any green onion. i liked mine either raw or slightly cooked but when cooked too much it loses most of the garlic flavor.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a few cloves of garlic left in the ground from last year and they are up now. So I guess the garlic is saying now is the time to plant. LOL

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The wife planted some yesterday. We will see if anything comes up

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They're looking good already :)

I cooked something with garlic this afternoon and the clove I used had a good size sprout going. I ate it :hide I think I should grow some garlic too. I like it and eat a fair bit of it.