Garlic

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This thread is fantastic. I ordered native Inchelium garlic to plant this fall. It should arrive any day! 🙌
Wondering if you have seen any green from your garlic yet? I had forgotten that I planted a few in a raised bed off the deck and was going to turn it yesterday, and I found them. They have about 2 inches of green coming out the top but haven't pushed through the soil yet.

Anyone--what do you do with garlic scapes? I had gotten some from the CSA last year and pickled them but haven't used any yet. AND do all garlic plants get them and when do you harvest? I planted a hard neck variety (again from the CSA)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wondering if you have seen any green from your garlic yet? I had forgotten that I planted a few in a raised bed off the deck and was going to turn it yesterday, and I found them. They have about 2 inches of green coming out the top but haven't pushed through the soil yet.

Anyone--what do you do with garlic scapes? I had gotten some from the CSA last year and pickled them but haven't used any yet. AND do all garlic plants get them and when do you harvest? I planted a hard neck variety (again from the CSA)
I haven't checked them yet. TY for the reminder!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

it's out there. we had a cold enough winter that there wasn't much green up top at any time. sometimes we get a mild winter and the green will stay and grow even under the snow.

only hardneck garlic gets scapes - a lot of the garlic sold at the store is not hardneck garlic.

i don't do anything with them other than cut them off before the bulbules start falling around and growing more plants that i don't need. i keep them just in case anyone wants to start a big crop. scapes are edible like the rest of the green plant through until it starts getting too hard to be tender (for the variety i grow that's about early to mid June). when i harvest green garlic i usually wait until it gets growing well and then from that point until a few weeks before harvest it will be either a straight stalk or a bulb. i treat it like any green onion. i liked mine either raw or slightly cooked but when cooked too much it loses most of the garlic flavor.