1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Gas or propane refrigeration

Discussion in 'Everything Else Energy' started by rhoda_bruce, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Jan 26, 2016
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

It is but, so are the oils I use...coconut, palm, olive, etc.

2. Jan 27, 2016
    rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Almost Self-Reliant

I only made one batch of goat milk soap and it was from some frozen colostrum I had and it messed up somehow. Smelled horrible and turned orange. I have been advised against freezing it in the future.

3. Jan 27, 2016
    JASTECH

JASTECH Power Conserver

I cook with organic Olive oil, Grape seed oil and Avocado oil. Been meaning to get organic coconut oil too. Don't know what I would use the coconut oil with? We rat a lot of beans. Cook black beans with raw garlic, avocado oil, tumeric, chili arbor. Himalayan salt, thyme and parsley with a few grinds of a 4 pepper grinder. We then treat tortillas into 8 triangles and scoop bean into each little taco triangle. Works for our budget. I'm in the hospital again, two days so far. Thinking twisted intestinal tract.

4. Jan 27, 2016
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Jastech -- sorry about hospital Feel better soon! As to coconut oil it's great for any frying/cooking. Has higher temp tolerance so doesn't burn as quickly as other oils for frying. Also, doesn't add a coconut flavor...really no flavor.

Rhoda...bruce -- I use the milk, not colostrum. But, I do freeze it to use. The frozen milk helps cool the lye as it's added and that also melts the milk. If it gets too hot, the milk will turn dark -- ask me how I know -- and I also have this bowl sitting in ice water as I mix. My product is made with food grade lye. Also, since it takes a lot of ice, I freeze water in qt size plastic bottles, put those into cool water in the sink to sit the mixing bowl into. When done, I refreeze the bottles. Saves buying ice & neater to stack in freezer.

If milking several does I also use the frozen bottle in water method in a cooler to put the glass bottles of milk into while milking others. Then take all to freezer for an hr or so to quickly cool, then place them into a cold refer. I find the freezer does well to quicly chill to good temps. This is drinking milk. :)

5. Jan 28, 2016
    JASTECH

JASTECH Power Conserver

Mini, thanks. Still in hospital today, my 9 year old boy and neighbor are feeding the herd. New cat scan shows they have me untwisted.

6. Jan 31, 2016
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Hope you get to go home soon!

7. Jan 31, 2016
    JASTECH

JASTECH Power Conserver

They let me out, son and neighbor still feeding herd until I can handle the task. I don't like laying about, better to heal properly though.
    Thanks to all for concern. Still need to go back to court March 3, nothing like a plate of stress to chew on.

8. Feb 22, 2016
    JASTECH

JASTECH Power Conserver

Back feeding herd, then broke tooth 15 sometime ago, think when in martial arts, pulled half out and one root. After two days of migraine my friend told me to go have it removed as his friend died from infection. So now healing and trying not to eat crunchy stuff.

Goat soap, how much for one bar? Have you tried to add Essential Oils to the mix?

baymule likes this.