Gearing Up for Gardens thread...

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm mostly just digging . . . and not digging the digging. :p It seems like I can never have too many beds and each one is a struggle with rocks, rocks, and more rocks. I think a full 1/3 of my soil is stone. :/ Luckily, we can use the rocks in construction projects, but I'd rather not be mining on my garden time. :p

I have some of my seedlings growing inside. It is nice to have established a workable set-up for starting seedlings, since last year was my first year in our new location and every step was a struggle.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Wow!! That is a LOT of plants, farmerlor! Wouldn't I love to be eating salsa from your garden this summer :)
Oh, we can LOTS of salsa!!! The kids love it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bought more onion plants(Kandy) yesterday and a bag of some pretty expensive soil for my seedling project. I hope it pays off! :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Mine is just about all done with planting, still have a raised bed to build to plant more asparagus in. Have to replant a few things that the nasty littel rabbits & prarie dogs have eatten up.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm a little bit queasy with worry. I've never planted a garden so early here in WI--mid March. Now it has already snowed 2 times. I'm hoping the cool-weather seeds can handle lots of cold, wet conditions without rotting. Anybody have experience with this? Nothing is sprouting so far. :hu

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Lettuce, kale, chard, radishes, beets, carrots, parsnips, arugula. Please, oh please, come up!!!

ETA: They were all seeds that could be sown "as soon as the soil can be worked" or "4-6 weeks before last frost," but I'm still worried. This is new planting territory for me.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yeah, what did you plant? Some things might just wait out the cold, but if you planted peas . . . they could rot if it is too damp and too cold. I still have NOT planted my peas. It is getting a bit late too. :rant

Latest posts