1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

General meds and antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by Mattemma, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Feb 17, 2012
    Mattemma

Mattemma Lovin' The Homestead

I do a rotation of OTC meds. I just wonder how I can stock up on antibios. I can not get scripts from the doctor unless ill. How do you get your antibios for a possible SHTF time when supplies are low to none? Would antibios specifically for animals be an option?

Perviously we got a bunch of antibios from a relative when he visited from his country.They are pretty old now. I asked about mailing some,but customs makes it hard. I know herbs are an option if I can not get allopathic antibios.

2. Feb 17, 2012
    hqueen13

hqueen13 <Insert Snazzy Title Here

Might be better/safer to look into natural remedies. There are a number of natural things out there that have pretty strong antibiotic properties.

3. Feb 19, 2012
    BrandedX

BrandedX Power Conserver

4. Feb 19, 2012
    so lucky

so lucky Almost Self-Reliant

Yes, I would go with the herbal antibiotics. Several to choose from. I have a book on Herbal Antibiotics I need to drag out and re-read, as the particular names elude me right now. Senior moment.

5. Feb 19, 2012
    Doozerdoo1

Doozerdoo1 Enjoys Recycling

You can get antibiotics labeled for fish. I have used them for years when a vet told me that there the same as human antibiotics. Not as carefully filled as as human grade but the same. I have treated my self and family members for strep, infections etc. Worked every time. I get mine on amazon.com
    Penicillin , amoxicillin , bacterium, etc.

6. Feb 19, 2012
    FarmerChick

FarmerChick Super Self-Sufficient

yup check into some livestock antibiotics also. read careful and do research. in a complete pinch, they work

7. Feb 19, 2012
    BarredBuff

BarredBuff El Presidente de Pollo

We have used veterinary medicine before :p But I'd say look into herbal alternatives...

8. Feb 19, 2012
    rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Almost Self-Reliant

Both those ideas are exellent ideas. For animals, keep in mind that the dosages may be for cows, so you will want to keep all the inserts and it wouldn't hurt if you have a nurse friend to ask her if she has an old nursing drug reference from the 90's that you can use just as a reference, if she bought herself an updated copy (that way you can check the proper dosages for humans of all ages).
    I am a nurse and I might do this very thing.
    I used to get most of my meds from Mexico, but it was mainly my parents who would do our 'drug run.' But now Daddy doesn't want to go because he says US citizens are getting kidnapped, so I have to get creative.
    I am studying herbology and some of the info is amazing. I keep saying,"Our doctors DON'T want us to know this stuff." There are many herbs that can heal just as good as antibiotics. I have read a few case studies in one of the books I was studying. I started making a shopping list off of some of the info I learned. That might be the safest and most legal route you can take.
    Also......people don't take meds correctly, so sometimes when there are 'extra' meds left-over after an illness, I get them. Those meds, together with other meds I get elsewhere, sometimes can cure an illness, provided I have the same med and can put together at least a week of dosages.
    The thing to also know is how to treat other symptoms, to help you get well fast. I tell you a doc or nurse friend can be very valueable.....or at least learn a little about pharmicology or herbology yourself. A headcold can't be treated like a chest cold....etc....

9. Feb 19, 2012
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

I just do home remedies anymore. Even for antibiotic, most times a raw clove of garlic will work as well if not better than conventional medicine :hu Certain things it won't work well for, but I rarely get THAT sick.

10. Feb 20, 2012
    hqueen13

hqueen13 <Insert Snazzy Title Here