General meds and antibiotics?

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do a rotation of OTC meds. I just wonder how I can stock up on antibios. I can not get scripts from the doctor unless ill. How do you get your antibios for a possible SHTF time when supplies are low to none? Would antibios specifically for animals be an option?

Perviously we got a bunch of antibios from a relative when he visited from his country.They are pretty old now. I asked about mailing some,but customs makes it hard. I know herbs are an option if I can not get allopathic antibios.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Might be better/safer to look into natural remedies. There are a number of natural things out there that have pretty strong antibiotic properties.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I would go with the herbal antibiotics. Several to choose from. I have a book on Herbal Antibiotics I need to drag out and re-read, as the particular names elude me right now. Senior moment.

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You can get antibiotics labeled for fish. I have used them for years when a vet told me that there the same as human antibiotics. Not as carefully filled as as human grade but the same. I have treated my self and family members for strep, infections etc. Worked every time. I get mine on amazon.com
Penicillin , amoxicillin , bacterium, etc.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup check into some livestock antibiotics also. read careful and do research. in a complete pinch, they work

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We have used veterinary medicine before :p But I'd say look into herbal alternatives...

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Both those ideas are exellent ideas. For animals, keep in mind that the dosages may be for cows, so you will want to keep all the inserts and it wouldn't hurt if you have a nurse friend to ask her if she has an old nursing drug reference from the 90's that you can use just as a reference, if she bought herself an updated copy (that way you can check the proper dosages for humans of all ages).
I am a nurse and I might do this very thing.
I used to get most of my meds from Mexico, but it was mainly my parents who would do our 'drug run.' But now Daddy doesn't want to go because he says US citizens are getting kidnapped, so I have to get creative.
I am studying herbology and some of the info is amazing. I keep saying,"Our doctors DON'T want us to know this stuff." There are many herbs that can heal just as good as antibiotics. I have read a few case studies in one of the books I was studying. I started making a shopping list off of some of the info I learned. That might be the safest and most legal route you can take.
Also......people don't take meds correctly, so sometimes when there are 'extra' meds left-over after an illness, I get them. Those meds, together with other meds I get elsewhere, sometimes can cure an illness, provided I have the same med and can put together at least a week of dosages.
The thing to also know is how to treat other symptoms, to help you get well fast. I tell you a doc or nurse friend can be very valueable.....or at least learn a little about pharmicology or herbology yourself. A headcold can't be treated like a chest cold....etc....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just do home remedies anymore. Even for antibiotic, most times a raw clove of garlic will work as well if not better than conventional medicine :hu Certain things it won't work well for, but I rarely get THAT sick.

Latest posts