General meds and antibiotics?

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There are many different types of cone flower, even some hybrids. The one to look for though (if you prefer traditional) is Purple Coneflower, Eastern Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What would be your favorite books on herbs? I would love to learn this stuff.

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ninny said:
What would be your favorite books on herbs? I would love to learn this stuff.
The one book I always recommend to beginners is "Your Backyard Herb Garden" By Miranda Smith. Amazon has a nice description of it, plus shows the book cover. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0875969941/apiof

This book is the one that started me on the path to herbal medicine and culinary :)

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think I read the book before,but just in case I ordered it again from the library interloan program. I am making some garden boxes this year and will organise my herb plantings.Right now they are just all over the yard,and I have to pick and smell to figure out what they are!

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tatter said:
I don't share my knowledge much as I've been accused a few times as being arrogant when in all honesty I do come across strong online...I'm one of these who have no finesse about them at all. I speak my peace and leave it at that and if I think I believe I'm being fed a line of bull, I call it instead of sitting on it and just accepting it. This kind of demeanor rubs many folks wrong, so I just keep all my knowledge enclosed in my head.
Lol, I had that happened to me one time on a mommy liist when I commented about avoiding a certain herb when you have a fever. I thought it was just a helpful reminder,but boy did they lay into me. As for herbal safety I agree everyone reacts different.Only thing I recall is giving my dd some eyebright tea one time and she rashed out from it.Ds did ok,but dd could not have it. I was also ok with it. I have read a few books and stories on the risks and injuries people experienced,so I am nervous at times. Another concern though is even if you buy herbs I have read sometimes you are not getting what you pay for.Who knows what is really packed in those capsules.

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Of my culinary herbs, my medicinal consist of those that wont harm others, even though I use them just for myself. I took great pain in figuring out what works in my zone, then cross referenced to see the percentage, if any, that are allergic to that variety of herb. What I grow is Valerian, Fennel, Echinacea, Horehound, Lemon Balm, Lemon Grass, Rosemary, English Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Catnip, Peppermint, Calendula, Caraway, Bee Balm (Lavender Bergamot & Red Oswega Tea & Jacob Cline), Oregano, Dill, Chives, Parsley, Sage, Plantain (broadleaf), German Winter Thyme, Stevia, Anise Hyssop and then replanted Yarrow that grows wild in my woods. I also have dandelion that grows in the field, red clover and chicory grows in my wildlife food plot (custom made by myself using hay production seeds). I'm trying to locate a green tea plant but its not an easy thing to find in Wisconsin. Some of the culinary herbs will be sold at farmer markets as well to bring in a bit of spending cash.

I don't tend to know everything (though I am sure it may sound that way), just of what herbs I do grow and one HAS to know about the herbs one grows otherwise whats the sense of having them? I know what works for some people and what doesn't (in my area) but have also read many success stories in books, magazines and online, along with not so successful stories. I'm the type who would rather give the right information than the wrong and so naturally I will speak my peace on certain things that could provide helpful information to someone in need, but at the same time, I wont share a whole lot as sometimes the reception of my posts can make folks recoil in thinking I'm just a know it all.

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a few books but there is NOTHING like having an experienced person to learn from. I wish so badly I had such a resource! I want to watch them pick which parts of the plant, how to prepare it for storage and use....sigh. So many arts from "back in the day" are lost. Im fairly certain in my lifetime we will need these skills. (Im 41)

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm 44 and learned most of this through trial and error, though I took a few courses on herb picking and medicinal tinctures. Unfortunately, people who know things like herbs are few and far between. I guess we tend to stick close to being the hermit as we've had a few occurrences where people thought we are nuts for eating weeds lol. Eggrookie...you can do the youtubes if you are a visual learner. There are also websites like http://www.learningherbs.com/ which has videos showing details to how to tend to herbs.

We do need to learn these skills as the future is uncertain and one never knows what one will encounter in a woods or ditch...so many medicines out there that it can be overwhelming and so much of the information that grandma knew is long gone. As we are today, our best bet to help others grow is to teach each other and keep the art of medicinal herbs alive within families and friends.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tatters! Fancy meeting you here!

I guess the "other forum" isn't the best place to discuss herbal matters... as a rule I don't either. I think there may be 1 or 2 other people there that may be though.

My "Bible" for picking or "wildcrafting" is Peterson Field Guides, Eastern/Central Medicinal Plants I'm on my 5th copy because I keep wearing them out! I've also given a copy to each of my kids. There are several good books for "formulas" but be careful! To me some seem like more "fill" than good medicine. The one I really like, and use allot, is Therapeutic Herb Manual, by: Ed Smith. However, it is more advanced in that it assumes the user knows how to make or has access to extracts. It also does not tell you how to make salves and such, it just gives the what herbs to use and the percentages of each. The formulas work well though.

Yep, sneaking up on 60 here, been doing herbal medicine for at least 30 years. Picked "wild food" since I was a kid! I just wish my recall was as good as my memory! :p

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love the peterson field books. I will have to get that one. I grow herbs but I have made the mistake of planting things in a mix....and I don't mark things.If or rather WHEN I redo things I will be making a seperate bed for each herb. Seperate or atleast just 2 per bed. I want to do multiple beds of the same herb in case of bugs or disease.