General meds and antibiotics?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I NEVER throw away any meds and I eventually get all the families leftovers, to keep on hand and I do not pay much attention to expirations, unless they are ridiculously outdated....like over a decade, because I'm a nurse and I've been in a few medical pinches in my life, unable to find a doctor, open pharmacy and such. Therefore, I have accumulated quite a lot of meds and medical equipment and it has come in handy in a number of occasions.
But all that being said, I also think ya'll should all add one more book to your SS library......a book of healing herbs. Look around and find the best you can. Go to the library and search for what they have and see which one offers the most useful remedies and then order a cheap copy on amazon. I mean, what you gonna do if meds aren't available one day?

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I NEVER throw away any meds and I eventually get all the families leftovers, to keep on hand and I do not pay much attention to expirations, unless they are ridiculously outdated....like over a decade, because I'm a nurse and I've been in a few medical pinches in my life, unable to find a doctor, open pharmacy and such. Therefore, I have accumulated quite a lot of meds and medical equipment and it has come in handy in a number of occasions.
But all that being said, I also think ya'll should all add one more book to your SS library......a book of healing herbs. Look around and find the best you can. Go to the library and search for what they have and see which one offers the most useful remedies and then order a cheap copy on amazon. I mean, what you gonna do if meds aren't available one day?
Here is a link to one of the best herbal books ever written, Culpeppers complete herbal....It was first published in 1652 but just as good today, besides, you can't beat free! http://archive.org/details/cu31924001353279

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh thanx. Lots of my text books quote from his writings. I imagine it must be awesome. I'll have to check it out.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I've been meaning to answer this for a while, but had some difficulty verifying something before I posted. I don't usually discard expired or unused meds either. Especially pain medication, because you never know when you might really, really need something when you can't get in touch with a physician. I found this article from the Wall Street Journal. It isn't a recent article, but I doubt the information has changed much. The article is worth reading.

http://www.terrierman.com/antibiotics-WSJ.htm

One thing to note...the medications that do degrade and should not be used past expiration are Nitroglycerin, Insulin, and Liquid Antibiotics. This doesn't apply to regular antibiotics.

The army spent a lot of money testing drugs over long periods of time, well past expiration dates and discovered they were safe and potent years longer than the expiration dates. Apparently (and I doubt this is a surprise to anyone), most of the hoohah over expiration dates is market driven, not due to the drug no longer being safe or effective. There were some good points...such as a long-expired medication might still be perfectly safe and potent, but the packaging and insert might not reflect updated side-effects, drug interactions, or contraindications for use. Another thing to note is that when the pharmacist fills your prescription, regardless of what the expiration of his bulk container is, he usually labels it with a one year or less expiration.

I suggest everyone read the article. I found it very useful and helpful.

And I agree that it is very wise to learn all we can about natural healing and herbs.