Generators

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Personally, I'd rather have more power than I need than not enough. ;)
Oh yeah, certainly. Better to have it and not need it than vice versa. When we buy we'll probably buy 4K.
My point was that you would expect to see some 1000 watt or less for sale, and not many homeowners have real need for a 7000 watt.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Toulle said:
i_am2bz said:
Oh yeah, certainly. Better to have it and not need it than vice versa. When we buy we'll probably buy 4K.
My point was that you would expect to see some 1000 watt or less for sale, and not many homeowners have real need for a 7000 watt.
There are plenty of smaller ones out there. Lowes and other hardware stores sell the 3000's and up because they figure they are a building store and people want the generators to run tools where they don't have an outlet.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When the power is out, we're in survival mode. I plug in the furnace or the freezer. It's not the most fun or convenient, but it gets me by with an inexpensive 800-W generator. I'll probably get a backup generator eventually, and it'll still have cost me less than one of those fancy units with auto switch, remote start, 1,000,000-gallon fuel tank, etc.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
When the power is out, we're in survival mode. I plug in the furnace or the freezer. It's not the most fun or convenient, but it gets me by with an inexpensive 800-W generator. I'll probably get a backup generator eventually, and it'll still have cost me less than one of those fancy units with auto switch, remote start, 1,000,000-gallon fuel tank, etc.
I bought a "generic" portable 4000watt generator from an RV dealer for $600. We have one on the camper, but it is ON the camper. We'd have to move the whole thing closer to the house to be any use and it is bigger so doesn't do as well on gas. I figure this way I have one for the horse trailer and one for emergency freezer power. We have a fireplace for heat.

ki4got

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
we have 2 generators, a smaller 2kw that we can use to power radios/computers/lights for communicatios purposes, and we have a 5kw we can use to power the fridge, freezer, well pump, and a/c if needed (my asthma protests heat/humidity)

we can also hook it up to the camper and use the a/c there if needed. the camper fridge can run on propane, but I tend to keep a lot of meat frozen so the chest freezer's important to us.

We also have a device hooked into the mains that allows us to switch from mains electric to generator without worrying about backfeeding the grid, so if power is off for any extended time we can operate normally, within the operating range of the generator. but usually it's more efficient to move into the camper short term.

ki4got

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Toulle said:
i_am2bz said:
one thing to consider with the smaller generators... 2-3 devices can add up quickly and overload it. we had a 1000w Honda generator, nice, small, quiet. it was within the power range for the camper's A/C, but would overheat after about 3 minutes... our 2kw generator runs the everything except the a/c just fine, the larger generator (when we're doing mobile radio stuff) will run everything by itself, except the radios which we keep on a seperate power supply (aka batteries most of the time) to minimize rf noise.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
ki4got said:
We also have a device hooked into the mains that allows us to switch from mains electric to generator without worrying about backfeeding the grid, so if power is off for any extended time we can operate normally, within the operating range of the generator. but usually it's more efficient to move into the camper short term.
I want one of these built in to our house as well when we finally do move. They also have generators that are built connected to the propane tanks so they are wired up already and automatically will switch on if need be.

In summer I want to run the freezer/fridge and a fan or two. Ideally the a/c, but I don't know that in our current house it would be possible. Also computers and phone charging would be helpful. In winter, a heat source is a must, as we don't have any other source of heat except our furnace. All the cold stuff can get shoved outside in the snow! LOL

We're about to get a 5k generator at cost since his company just started carrying them. I am excited that we'll have our own and not have to go hunt one down during the next viscous winter storm!!

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just got done purchasing a new generator ( 3,000w) for 279.00 at murdocks. A real nice one. Bought one off eBay last summer brand new ( 60.00 3,000w) planning on running the freezer if need be and fridge in summer, ( we have cool house and very mild summers) radio also. Winter will put my freezer stuff out side if need be, and plug in a heater or 2 . Just got done purchasing 2 kerosene heaters on sale for 99.00 23,000 btu out put! And a big buddy propane heater. Where I live no heat is not an option! Been buying kerosene and gas and propane for a while, will continue to do so!

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
While I agree with the idea of having more generator power than you actually need, keep in mind that a larger generator will run through more fuel, even if you aren't using it to power a lot. It is sort of like driving a Hummer when a Geo Metro will suffice. It might be a good idea to invest in a small generator along with a large one. The small one can be utilized to run a few lights and the larger one can be used only when a lot more power is required. This will allow you to make better use of your fuel and allow it to last longer during a more widespread emergency.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
TheMartianChick said:
While I agree with the idea of having more generator power than you actually need, keep in mind that a larger generator will run through more fuel, even if you aren't using it to power a lot. It is sort of like driving a Hummer when a Geo Metro will suffice. It might be a good idea to invest in a small generator along with a large one. The small one can be utilized to run a few lights and the larger one can be used only when a lot more power is required. This will allow you to make better use of your fuel and allow it to last longer during a more widespread emergency.
MartianChick makes a good point. You want to decide what you can and what you CAN NOT do without. Then once you know the demands of those CAN'T do without items, you plan your generator so that it will have enough power to start the motors of your item. Most folks who have food stored in a freezer will have no problem in winter as long as the weather is below 0F. On the other hand, that is pretty cold for people, so running a generator to keep the freezer alive sounds like a must. Clearly, you will need to eat what is in the freezer faster than you had planned but at least you will be able to eat it. You may want to find styrofoam boxes or some extra thick styrofoam insulation (4 x 8 foot sheets) and do some extra insulation inside and outside the freezer. I have a bunch of them. I would think nothing of taking things from the freezer, putting them into styrofoam containers and putting them back in the freezer. It will keep them colder when you are NOT powering the freezer with the generator. If you add an extra layer of styrofoam around the outside of the freezer, it will be even more efficient. What ever you do, maximize what ever your energy expenditure has done for you with insulation rather than with spending more money on fuel. That would be my approach. YMMV
Trim sends
//BT//