CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried growing basil in between my tomato plants, as I'd read they "love" each other; it didn't work though-- the tomatoes overran and shaded out the basil too quickly.
I've decided the only thing I can do with brussels sprouts is grow them as a trap crop. They always end up covered with aphids, who seem to ignore everything else in the garden.

A:
Palmolive original + water + pump sprayer = dead aphids

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We always used Ivory dish soap and water growing up and I know Dawn works as well. It works so fast on suffocating aphids. If the plant is sensitive to soaps (some are) just wash it off after a few minutes.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Need to add nasturtiums to your gleanings! And tomatoes! And cukes if you grow OP. Lettuce is super easy to save also. though a lot of people would just prefer to buy new seed instead of taking the time to glean and dry the seed. I still have a pillow case of lettuce seed from about 4 years ago that I can't bear to part with b/c it's so nice to reach in there and grab a fist full of seed that I've saved from years past!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Favas are one of the richest nitrogen fixers there are. I grow them because they are one of the few reliable crops in my mountain climate. Did you know you can also eat the young shoots? It's worth it to plant them closer together so you can eat the thinnings. One thing though, some people- particularly of Mediterranean extraction, may be allergic to them (sucks to be them). Oh, also, I've found that the flowers can stain your hands (they are white with black markings, and the black comes off)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:old Good post. I have a hard time with onions for the very reason that I don't keep them well weeded. Onions are heavy feeders, and are particular about their nutrients AND WATER CONSUMPTION, and many varieties are dependent on correct day length at the correct time for good bulb formation.

Lets hear more words of wisdom.