Getting acclimated to country

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks everyone especially you FEM but I do have to give bad news as I was attempting to give the baby homemade electrolyte solution it's fading fast. The damages were to extensive.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Update: the patient (baby chick) passed on at 1:14am. Fought hard battle.
Too much blood loss, I think. Wound was extensive/deep. Needed another set of hands and stitch kit.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's a pic of remaining baby. Isn't it adorable?
IMG_20170715_104745.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Animals are tough and fragile at the same time. From my point of view, you did everything right and the loss isn't your fault. I know it's really hard when you get into that mothering state and the creature dies anyway, but... it's probably for the best.

Over here, we have pretty much unlimited resources. My husband is a veterinarian, he does large and small animals and has a mobile vet truck so he not only has knowledge and skill, but also equipment right here. HOWEVER, we would have done the same thing as you. Clean it up, keep it warm and wait and see.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. If we are reactive and intervene too much, we would eventually end up with weak stock. If we intervene less, nature assists us in culling leaving us with hardy stock. I have a really soft spot for management mistakes. If I screw something up and an animal is injured I'm going to insist we intervene.

The only thing I can think of that you might be able to adjust for if there's a next time is learning better restraint for a chicken/chick. Chickens *cannot breathe* if their bodies are constricted. The only thing I can imagine you could have possibly done "wrong" is to hold the chick too tightly while you were trying to get the would cleaned up.

I recommend NOT getting suture supplies and antibiotic ointment. It's almost always best to leave wounds open to breathe and heal. Sutures can make a situation much, much worse. I can relate to the feeling that you haven't done enough, but you did everything you could, everything you should.

:hugs

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think I held onto the baby too tight while I was attempting to clean the wound. I think I just let it lay in my hand with my fingers open so what was left of the wing was against my fingers. But I could have put a little too much pressure to stop the bleeding but that's when it began to revive.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the other members on Backyard Chickens gave me a list of items to get for a basic first aid kit. One of the items is triple antibiotic ointment (NO PAIN KILLER)- something generic from a dollar store.
If you're also a member of Backyard Chickens. The thread to look at the list is What do I do- Emergency Chick problem listed on chicks forum.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The following 2 legged animals in pic don't belong to me or my Uncle but they were so still I just had to snap the pic. Sort of remind me of decorations. Lol
IMG_20170715_210746.jpg

I hope you are able to see but if not, there's a duck in the middle of all of the Lily pads and one standing on the right side next to the figurine who's doing some fishing.