Getting acclimated to country

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can do minor things like wiring in a light fixture, changing out a socket, or replacing a ceiling fan, but that's about the extent of my electrical knowledge.

Small engine repair I've done, but just lightly. I've done some maintenance and repair on vehicles~change the oil, replace fluids in the rear diff, replace a fuel line filter, etc. Nothing major, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't attempt it if given the right instructional vid or teacher and the right tools.

I'm pretty much game for learning most things if it makes me a more versatile, independent person.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
umm... I can change a lightbulb? Yeah my husband and I work as a team but he does all of the building, fixing, etc. I do try to tag along and learn though. I'm the one who researches the big picture and he makes it happen.

If I had to butcher my own chickens I would probably stop eating them. And engines are SO not my thing.

I do hope you are able to get what you want out of your current situation.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope springs eternal.... ;)

I'm going to give you a little nibble of wisdom, as a woman of older years....never wait on a man to do anything or get around to anything or learn to WANT to do anything. ANY man...brother, cousin, uncle, dad or husband.

You'll be waiting a very long time while the place falls down around you. Men who are willing to do chores on the land and around the house are born, not made...you'll be able to spot those kind and they are as rare as hen's teeth. They are the ones doing work like that BEFORE you ask...they see what needs to be done and they just go and do it. They don't slowly grow into good workers with time....I've never seen it happen and my dear ol' Ma, 82 yrs young in this world, has never seen it happen.

I couldn't find a clip, but this SO reminded me of Pa Kettle drawling "gonna have to fix that one of these days"

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with the sage advice of the other ladies. I would like to take a small engine repair class given the opportunity. DH does not know how to fix anything and wants to hire things done so usually things don't get fixed unless I can do it. I once had to put in window panes of a house I moved into because I couldn't find anyone to do it. I broke a few panes putting them in and got a cut on my hand but it brought me great satisfaction to know I could do it if I had to. I also liked that my young daughters (at the time) saw their mama could do things like that. I once apologized to my daughter for something I didn't buy for her when she was little and she told me, "Mama the only thing I remember about you was that you worked your a$$ off taking care of things".

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
... Not to mention, one never knows how long, or if, that man will be around. People get sick. People die. People break up. It's best to prepare for a future where you might be alone.

I need to overcome my fear of power tools. I have no trouble using hand-powered tools, but I don't feel comfortable picking up a power saw or drill. Or using a weed-whacker or chainsaw.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Gas powered weed whackers I hate. They're very heavy and are cumbersome to use. As for chainsaws, I can't use a gas powered one, the fumes give me vertigo. But I have no problem w/an electric one. You can do more w/one of those than most people realize.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'd love an electric chainsaw, but the smallest, lightest one I can get. I am CLUMSY. Enough said.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hope springs eternal.... ;)

Men who are willing to do chores on the land and around the house are born, not made...you'll be able to spot those kind and they are as rare as hen's teeth. They are the ones doing work like that BEFORE you ask...they see what needs to be done and they just go and do it. They don't slowly grow into good workers with time....I've never seen it happen and my dear ol' Ma, 82 yrs young in this world, has never seen it happen.

I didnt know i was such a catch. I better show this to the wife. :gig

Latest posts