Getting acclimated to country

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You better! It'll give you a lot of brownie points!

they are as rare as hen's teeth
I don't think they're THAT rare lol. I've had many hard-working men in my life starting with my dad and brother. My first husband (yes, I'll give him credit for being a hard worker) my son, neighbors. Families on my street are always working, gardening, raising animals. Hurricanes/storms we all chip in and help. My neighbor cut up a tree that was blown down in my yard...wouldn't take a dime for his work. My DH now - may not have been born on a farm or know much about working one - but he's always willing to jump in and try. :love

Maybe we just grow hard working men in Texas! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We grow 'em in NH too. My husband does most of the serious physical lavor around here. I help but I'm slow, lol! I can't put up a straight fence to save my life! My stepdad never stops working (drives my mom crazy).I've got a bunch of the other type around too, but plenty of workers!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Y'all are truly blessed, then. Around here, they are rare as hen's teeth. My Dad was a hard worker and kept the outside of the place great and didn't need prompting to get things done, built many cabins, worked from daylight until dark as we homesteaded off grid and beyond....unless it was something he didn't want to do. ;)

Mom learned how to do the electrical work, the plumbing, the roofing, appliance repair, roofing, painting, caulking, furnace maintenance and repair, etc. Those all fell under things Dad didn't really like to do, so would put off until Mom got frustrated and did it herself.

I never had a man to help me, nor met one that really would, nor do my brothers nor my sons willingly help us do anything on the homestead. There are times we can wheedle them into certain chores like firewood production or fence building, but mostly we are disappointed when we ask for them to come and work as they put it off until we just do it ourselves. Like fixing the log splitter...couldn't get a man one to even attempt it, so Mom and I had to tackle that one.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH is such a good man to work. He goes to work at the local production plant. Live hanging which is the worst, nastiest job in his factory. Then he comes home and mows, weedeat, clean up brush or if that's done he will clean house and/or do laundry. Of course it's not how I do it but I'm bless to have it done. DS1 is the laziest teenager and to get him to do anything is like pulling teeth, DS2 lives out of town, DS3 loves to do yard work with Dad but he's the one with the broken leg. Grandson(8) just wants to play.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been here at my Uncle's property all by myself for a little over a week now.
I've managed to get some outside stuff done in between rain showers and thunderstorms but I've got the house cleaned and organized- NONE OF YOU FAINT ON ME HERE- the house is staying clean and organized.
I texted my cousin yesterday, " Hope you're not planning on coming back anytime soon seeing how I'm enjoying living here on my own." His response was, " okay that's fine".
The only issues I have is the 3 inside cats ( Midnight and Rigby who are 2 years old, Tyge who is younger than a year) are driving me crazy- I'm going to need a vacation by the time my cousin comes back from his. I can't say if and which one of the house cats is worse than the other two.
On this past Sun I began to let my 2 roosters out of the brooder box. There was some issues at first but I did a little separation of the Easter egger then let him back out after a while and no problem since.
Last night was the first night I didn't put them in the brooder box they were both still alive this morning. I put them in the brooder box before I let the other chickens out seeing how I have an appointment but I'm going to let them out when I get back.
The Buff Orpington rooster is trying to crow already and he's only around 3 1/2 months old.
When they are outside, I keep a close eye on them in order to keep them from being breakfast ( or lunch or dinner) to the other predators (mainly a chicken hawk) but the Easter egger likes to do a disappearing act on me which makes me think the chicken hawk got him then when I give up searching for him, he reappears most of the time behind me as I'm heading inside.
Yup, I get laughs out of ALL the antics of the animals ( 4 steers, 40+ other chickens and rooster, 2 outside cats and 3 inside cats) here but I do enjoy tending to them all the same.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
After that text you sent him he may reconsider coming back

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry I've taken so long- first had appointment then had to handle other farm issues so just now getting a chance to sit and relax before I have to lock chickens in for night. I'm hoping he doesn't come back to stay only to grab his things including his cats even though if that was to happen I would be sad with grief and loss especially now that I'm sort of bonding with Tyge.